HobbyWing Justock ESC is "cogging"

i_r_beej

Holy mother of pearl... So my HobbyWing ESC is acting up. Not sure if it's the ESC, sensor wire, motor or the battery. When I first apply just a touch of throttle, the motor starts to stutter. I guess this is what "cogging" is, eh?

According to the ESC manual, it's set by default for a pretty high level of "punch" or initial acceleration and thus has "strict battery requirements." Unfortunately these strict battery requirements are not spelled out! (Nothing on the web site, either.) An insufficient battery will cause "stuttering and hesitation" which is exactly what I'm experiencing.

It's a 60A (320A burst) ESC and I'm wondering if maybe my battery isn't up to the job. It's a 2S 4000mAh 20C battery. So that's 80A right there. (80 in theory, I know these sorts of specs are fudged.) I'm going to experiment with turning down the punch setting and see if that improves things. If that alleviates the stuttering then I'll be getting a new battery (I was going to get a shorty pack for racing anyway). I just got this ESC and I'm hoping I won't have to warranty it already!

Hobby Wing esc have programming cards also but with sensorless cogging is expected I set the throttle control so that it just starts to make noise then back it off till no more noise set my punch to the lowest and maybe mess with the timing that's the best for me

This was a total face-palm experience for me. And a huge relief.

So I spent basically the whole day posting far and wide trying to gather as many tips as I could before returning home and working on my car again. First stop is to check BOTH connections of the sensor wire. It was loose at the ESC. I used a small, flat-bladed screwdriver and firmly pushed on the edge of the connector - both sides, top and bottom - and the connector solidly clicked into place. Presto! No more cogging. Problem solved. I'm still going to get a shorty pack for racing though. :)

Learn from my mistake, folks. First rule of troubleshooting: Is it plugged in? Whatever your issue, FIRST check your plugs and connections.

Last edited:
You can go with a smaller pinion to help with sensorless cogging. I was having an issue with my bl esc/motor and went from 18t to a 14t. Havent had any cogging issue since.

Good to know. My car is geared fairly high for racing and I can see how gearing down would help reduce the "cogging" issue.

I have an associated B4.2 that I upgraded to some stock racing. Not an ECX owner...yet... but wanted to post a thank you in here. I was having this exact same issue with my Hobbywing Justock ESC. The motor I am running is an ECO Power Slingshot, and it has 2 sensor ports. After reading this post I decided it may be something with my sensor port on the engine or on the ESC itself. I disconnected from the ESC and reconnected it. Then I switched to the other port on my motor and its working perfectly now! Thanks a million!

hey @eddiegrey glad to hear this helped you figure out your problem.

The AE B4.2 is a fine buggy. A classic. I sort of wish I had one. I've posted elsewhere in these Forums about my experiments mounting B4.2 components on my ECX Boost buggy. The caster blocks and spindle carriers are pretty much a direct fit, but the AE spindles aren't metric (and they're shorter) so mounting anything other than the Schumacher "slim" front wheels was impossible. The steering assembly ("rack" or bellcranks) are also a direct fit (with an exception.) The front shock tower also fits, but I don't have any short shocks. One day I may try to get a set of the AE "V2" shocks from the B4.2 and mount them on my Boost and see how that works out (the Boost is too light in the front and the stock suspension doesn't sag AT ALL.)

Latest posts

Members online

Back