Horizon discontinuing online sales of ECX

Wrong. My lhs sent out an email that as of July 1st, ECX products will no longer be available on their website. They dont even show the brand anymore. See for yourself.
www.greathobbies.com
And yet they still list Team Durango?

Now hold on a friggin second here, so we are supposed to buy our parts at our LHS now? Oh great so now instead of waiting 3-4 days, I will get the "uh we can have it here by next Thursday" when I go to my LHS..................

And yet they still list Team Durango?

Now hold on a friggin second here, so we are supposed to buy our parts at our LHS now? Oh great so now instead of waiting 3-4 days, I will get the "uh we can have it here by next Thursday" when I go to my LHS..................
Exactly... that's what I'm saying... I'm still seeing parts on amazon/Ebay right now... but that may not last..

Funny enough you mention Team Durango lol.. I had a dex210 last summer.. sold it because parts availability sucked and any time I needed a part it took my lhs almost 3 weeks to get it in. .. if it's going to be like this with ECX I'm either going to sell mine and get a traxxas or losi.

I'm still seeing parts on amazon/Ebay right now... but that may not last.
I actually don't think those parts on Amazon or eBay will be going away. Someone(s) or a hobby shop will see the money potential of, at the very least, becoming an RC chop shop and start parting full kits out and listing them on those sites.

It happens all the time and now that Horizon has decided to make ECX only available in hobby shops I'm sure the same will happen to ECX RC's.

Just look at Helion, it's only sold through HobbyTown, yet you still see the kits and parts listed on both Amazon and eBay.

I'm not a fan of the decision and I think it makes it more inconvenient for us the consumers (mostly those that don't have a LHS very close by) but I don't think we'll see parts or kits dry up.

I actually don't think those parts on Amazon or eBay will be going away. Someone(s) or a hobby shop will see the money potential of, at the very least, becoming an RC chop shop and start parting full kits out and listing them on those sites.

It happens all the time and now that Horizon has decided to make ECX only available in hobby shops I'm sure the same will happen to ECX RC's.

Just look at Helion, it's only sold through HobbyTown, yet you still see the kits and parts listed on both Amazon and eBay.

I'm not a fan of the decision and I think it makes it more inconvenient for us the consumers (mostly those that don't have a LHS very close by) but I don't think we'll see parts or kits dry up.

Hopefully that's the case.. I dunno I'm just annoyed with it and am going to write horizon an email today.

My BOOrrage was awful, but is great now with Redcat axles, an hsp trans, yeah racing motor, vaterra wheels, axial tires and a Tamiya body.

My amp has traxxas drive shafts and hobbywing/redcat electronics.

As much as possible, I'll use parts from other brands, and I will not buy another ecx unless they make them available online. I think the in stores only thing is about the agreement with Tower Hobby.

There are plenty of better brands that did not eff over their intl customers. I'll buy from them.

MP

Yea.. I contacted horizon and they basically said too bad so sad.

In strongly considering both my Amps and just buying a slash..

I dont love or hate the slash... but its impossible to not find parts for it.

Yea.. I contacted horizon and they basically said too bad so sad.

In strongly considering both my Amps and just buying a slash..

I dont love or hate the slash... but its impossible to not find parts for it.
I spoke with a Horizon Hobby rep this week & she referred my questions to management & my reply email says they are not discontinuing the brand. Some things are changing but the brand is not dead.
I'm sure some things will continue to change even after this decision, hopefully for the best.
Over the last few weeks, i have researched other brands and as of today, you will still not beat the bang for the buck of an ECX.
With technology today, it doesn't take these manufactured a whole to make new parts, so they will continue to respond to the money & need of their consumers.
I will Bash these vehicles until I can't!!!

My BOOrrage was awful, but is great now with Redcat axles, an hsp trans, yeah racing motor, vaterra wheels, axial tires and a Tamiya body.

My amp has traxxas drive shafts and hobbywing/redcat electronics.

As much as possible, I'll use parts from other brands, and I will not buy another ecx unless they make them available online. I think the in stores only thing is about the agreement with Tower Hobby.

There are plenty of better brands that did not eff over their intl customers. I'll buy from them.

MP
I meant to reply to you but the site took me to the last comment when i hit reply(i did not realize that at the time). I understand your frustrations & your right. I was hoping the acquisition was going to increase the exposure of the brand. Business is funny it still might, after some research outside of Traxxas(not owed by H.H.), ECX seems to have a lot of options for upgrades & just like the brand, the price is right. Traxxas has longevity on its side but to match how we upgrade our ECX's woukd be an overpriced VXL of their brand. I'm surprised they haven't went the Honda/Lexus route yet. They are sticking with the Mercedes model of c class Benz in name only vs. S class which feels like a real luxury car.
I will bash these ECX"s until I can't.
My son, extra for his friends, I have bought for nephews, etc... i help others upgrade. I could not afgord to do this with another Brand.

Your not wrong, there great trucks... easy work on and upgrade, both mine are running brushless and basically now the only thing stock on them is the frame.

I do have a stockpile of parts but as I said to Horizon my nearest LHS is like 45 min away, and they don't have the greatest stock of parts. So I'm not really interested in going all the way down there and having to order parts and go back in 2 weeks or something.

I mean I'm sure I can scrounge on ebay/amazon or rpm for parts.. but this to me is a step down for the brand.

I find it admiral from Horizon to try and support the brick and morter shops. But the world is moving in a different direction unfortunately.

That's why I'm considering selling both my amps while they are still worth something and moving over to the slash, because one day they could just cut the brand and then were fucked, and you know traxxas will never let the slash die.

I was actually really considering ordering a Losi Tenacity SCT as I'm jonesing for a shortcourse truck. But now to hell with that. I'm very unimpressed with Horizon.

Your not wrong, there great trucks... easy work on and upgrade, both mine are running brushless and basically now the only thing stock on them is the frame.

I do have a stockpile of parts but as I said to Horizon my nearest LHS is like 45 min away, and they don't have the greatest stock of parts. So I'm not really interested in going all the way down there and having to order parts and go back in 2 weeks or something.

I mean I'm sure I can scrounge on ebay/amazon or rpm for parts.. but this to me is a step down for the brand.

I find it admiral from Horizon to try and support the brick and morter shops. But the world is moving in a different direction unfortunately.

That's why I'm considering selling both my amps while they are still worth something and moving over to the slash, because one day they could just cut the brand and then were fucked, and you know traxxas will never let the slash die.

I was actually really considering ordering a Losi Tenacity SCT as I'm jonesing for a shortcourse truck. But now to hell with that. I'm very unimpressed with Horizon.
I agree, you just never know. I actually have been looking for a used tlr 22t 4.0. I drive Losi buggies. But that is all for the track. My lhs is also about an hour away. I shop mostly online as well. Im pretty sure it will be years before we will have any issues.

Although I have an LHS 20 minutes away, I'm toying with the idea of selling my ruckus and torment and buying a slash to turn into a monster truck and a Rustler. My LHS has very little ECX parts, but they said they could Order parts and "it'll be here next Thursday." I already have 3 other Traxxas vehicles, so to add two more is no big deal. My LHS has more Traxxas Parts than anything else. I've never had to have them order Traxxas parts for my trucks.

I think this is an important update regarding this situation:

A reply from ECX RC on Facebook:
"Hi Peter, ECX was re-positioned as an in-store only brand in order to support Horizon Hobby authorized dealers across North America while ensuring that ECX customers receive the most engaging and helpful service when choosing the best ECX vehicle for themselves or as a gift for a spouse or loved one. Many consumers who look to ECX as the brand to get into RC chose to do so at a brick & mortar location and appreciate the ability to see the product before they buy-it and to receive guidance from employees at our more than 1,000 stores across the country on choosing the right product and for service after the sale. If you are international, you can still purchase ECX from Horizonhobby.eu."

Um, thanks ECX, maybe let people know about this kind of thing? So, yeah...

-MP

This was posted on the ECX Facebook page. ECX was re-positioned as an in-store only brand in order to support Horizon Hobby authorized dealers across North America while ensuring that ECX customers receive the most engaging and helpful service when choosing the best ECX vehicle for themselves or as a gift for a spouse or loved one. Many consumers who look to ECX as the brand to get into RC chose to do so at a brick & mortar location and appreciate the ability to see the product before they buy-it and to receive guidance from employees at our more than 1,000 stores across the country on choosing the right product and for service after the sale. If you are international, you can still purchase ECX from Horizonhobby.eu.

Thanks aeruedi

I'm on Facebook regularly, and I didn't see it. Imagine how many of their customers who do not use Facebook are left without an explanation. I think it behooves ECX to make this important information more easily accessible to more of their customers. Would an email have been too hard? They seem to have no trouble emailing adverts.

Thanks aeruedi

I'm on Facebook regularly, and I didn't see it. Imagine how many of their customers who do not use Facebook are left without an explanation. I think it behooves ECX to make this important information more easily accessible to more of their customers. Would an email have been too hard? They seem to have no trouble emailing adverts.
An email or how about a link or their site and other big online retailers sites.

International customers need to know they still have online options.

Hey, it ain't personal, it's just business. ;)

With a situation like this, one can't make everybody happy. I'm sure HH was catching hell from retailers. Imagine stocking product and then realizing that your distributor is competing with you! HH online frequently beat LHS prices and offered free shipping as well. A lose-lose situation for local retail. And like it or not, LOCAL representation is the only way to keep growing participation and keep RC from being a tiny niche hobby. We ALL lose if this hobby shrinks. Since I work in marketing I TOTALLY get this move by HH but at the same time I'm a little irked that sourcing parts easily (online) is now impossible.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back