Hot Racing Shock Droop

Beegieweejie

Hey guys!

I've been looking for ways to work with the HR shocks to get some droop/ lower center of gravity, deal with torque twist, and look cool.

I have been using the RC4WD spring set for 80mm internal shocks, which were great, but needed a shorter length for lower CG.

I wanted to share what I have figured out so far:

Picked up the shorter RC4WD spring set for 60mm internal shocks: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273027230119

I then cut the original stock silver HR springs in half. Unscrewed the shaft cap and slid them down. They fit perfectly over the shock shaft and do not bind on the housing. This allowed me to run the shorter RC4WD "upper position" springs and take away the slop out of the lower position with the HR springs.

I've only run two 600mah 2s packs through this setup, and changed spring rates a few times with the included spring options. But I now have the lower stance I was after, and an improvement in climbing at my home course.

I'm running the black rated spring in the rear left, and the green rate springs the rest of the way around.

20180511_194656.jpg 20180511_194638.jpg 20180510_220638.jpg

I know this is a old thread but wanted to see how you liked the 60mm springs? Ive been wanting to get some shorter springs to lower my temper. I cut some coils on the stock springs but it's still too soft. Nice rig man!

I know this is a old thread but wanted to see how you liked the 60mm springs? Ive been wanting to get some shorter springs to lower my temper. I cut some coils on the stock springs but it's still too soft. Nice rig man!

Still going strong!

I moved to real proline super swampers which are a bit taller than the knock offs I had, and added lead weights inside the rear tires to match the front. With the extra weight and larger diameter of the tires I "needed" a bit more power. So I started running 3s packs (with my 1080 esc).

I wanted to offset the extra power in the chassis so I installed the stiffest springs, the black rated ones, all the way around.

Other than that, the shocks have been great.

Don't hesitate if you have any other questions!

Attachments

• 20190314_211000.jpg
    20190314_211000.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190325_181010.jpg
    20190325_181010.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 8
Sweet! Sounds like it'll crawl pretty good, how many weights did you put in the tires? I put 1 and half oz in front and half oz in rear. Wasn't sure if I need to add more as I didn't want to overstrain the stock motor.

After stiffing the springs with o rings, I reversed the motor and trans, TT is gone til I got new tires, axial wildpeak fallen 1.9 and it's quite taller than my stock ones, and way more grip, TT got worse. I'm thinking stiffer springs will help and lessen it. How's TT on your rig, how'd you lessen it?
I got 8mm wheel widener and it helps with the stability, but not so much with TT.

Appreciate it!

TBH, I dont know how much actual weight is in them. I had these weights that fit the width of the rim, and I'd say probably 7-10 of them wrapped around each rim. They fit the diameter perfectly! I'll weigh them tonight. The beadlocks are plastic, so I wanted to get as much weight in there as possible.

I'm still using the stock motors. I've never had one die, but I put a new one in every 6-8 months just in case the weight and lipos are straining them. The original stock drive shafts have been fine, I did shorten the female end by 1/4" or so just to prevent binding with the lower ride height. I also have 2 Redcat ALU 680010 connect boxes set aside to put in the front and rear, but haven't needed them yet, even on 3s.

TT was pretty much gone with this setup on 2s, but the shift to 3s brought it back slightly. The stiffer black RC4WD springs all around drastically improved it. It'll still lift the passenger tire under power on a steep/technical climb, but I've seen videos of way more expensive sportsman/shafty comp machines do that as well, so it becomes a balancing act with traction and power. My next project is to do a 4 link mod just to see how it transforms.

TBH, I dont know how much actual weight is in them. I had these weights that fit the width of the rim, and I'd say probably 7-10 of them wrapped around each rim. They fit the diameter perfectly! I'll weigh them tonight. The beadlocks are plastic, so I wanted to get as much weight in there as possible.

I'm still using the stock motors. I've never had one die, but I put a new one in every 6-8 months just in case the weight and lipos are straining them. The original stock drive shafts have been fine, I did shorten the female end by 1/4" or so just to prevent binding with the lower ride height. I also have 2 Redcat ALU 680010 connect boxes set aside to put in the front and rear, but haven't needed them yet, even on 3s.

TT was pretty much gone with this setup on 2s, but the shift to 3s brought it back slightly. The stiffer black RC4WD springs all around drastically improved it. It'll still lift the passenger tire under power on a steep/technical climb, but I've seen videos of way more expensive sportsman/shafty comp machines do that as well, so it becomes a balancing act with traction and power. My next project is to do a 4 link mod just to see how it transforms.

Attachments

• 20190409_165206.jpg
    20190409_165206.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20190409_165052.jpg
    20190409_165052.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 2
Oh ok that's cool! I should try putting the weights inside the wheels as I put some of the weights on servo tray and on rear axle as well, I'm glad to hear that all of the driveshaft and motor is still fine with the lipos and the weights. I have the same weights as yours so they should fit perfectly!

Dang 3s, your rig must be crazy with it lol but yeah I have 2s and i noticed TT got worse after upgrading to lipo and new taller tires. I am about to order some black RC4WD springs to add to the stock shocks and hopefully theyll help with the TT. I will be also adding 30wt oil and I'll see how that helps. Ah yeah that makes sense, TT can't be rid completely so gotta use the driving skill to work with it.

Do you like your hot racing shocks? Worth it to upgrade over the stock shocks?

Ooh yeah thatll be a good mod, I want to 4 link the rear eventually but seems like everyone is doing it differently with the mounting and materials so wasn't too sure about it. I want to focus on lessening the TT then I'll try to remove the tires from the wheels and add the stock foams, I'm hoping that'll help and soften up the tires as the foams that came with the tires is a bit too dense as my rig is light so they're a bit too firm for my liking. Damn this crawler is addicting lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back