I think I'm done with brushed motors, recomend a decent brushless combo?

i_r_beej

I switched from a 20T brushed motor to a 15T over the weekend. Meh. Hilariously I purchased a 550 size instead of a 540 and didn't really realize it until after an underwhelming session at the track.

My problem is a lack of power. Just as too much power can be difficult to control, it can also help keep you out of trouble. Unless I'm in the first few minutes of a fresh LiPo and get my timing just right I CANNOT make most of the doubles and tabletops at the track. So, I can go slowly and crawl over each. Single. Jump. Or I punch it and hope my timing is right. More often that not I case it or endo into the face of the next jump and cartwheel over it. Lost time either way and potential damage.

So I think it's time for an actual motor upgrade.

Can you guys recommend a decent brushless system? Obviously I'm price-sensitive but I'd rather pay a little more for something good and reliable than pay two or three times for a cheap system.

Thanks for any info!

Castle is good for high end bashing. For racing, i recommend something less "jumpy". Like a hobbywing, or even a turnigy trackstar if your going for inexpensive.

If you don't need waterproofing, a sensored system is much better for track running.

Okay, so sensored vs. sensorless. I notice that sensorless systems are quite a bit less expensive. I've read about the "cogging" effect that can affect sensorless systems. But what's the real story? Have any of you experienced "cogging" in your sensorless systems?

Castle, all day, every day.
I haven't dealt with them directly, but have heard good things about Hobbywing. A bit cheaper too.

I don't recall ever reading anything bad about Castle equipment but up until now I've never actually checked out any of their stuff. Thanks for the link. Their Sidewinder ESC paired with a 4600 Kv motor is US$110. Pretty competitive with the HW offerings.

Okay, so sensored vs. sensorless. I notice that sensorless systems are quite a bit less expensive. I've read about the "cogging" effect that can affect sensorless systems. But what's the real story? Have any of you experienced "cogging" in your sensorless systems?

Yes. All my sensorless brushless cog to some degree, but at slow speeds only so it really doesn't matter. I have read that the crawler guys use brushed motors because of this but if you are going fast you don't notice it. If I barely touch the trigger to go slow the vehicle stutters a little on takeoff but once it's moving it's smooth.

Another question: Kv? As I understand it, the higher the number the more revolutions per minute: as in thousands of RPM per volt input. What would be a good Kv rating for a 2WD buggy (Boost, in this case) for racing?

Latest posts

Members online

Back