I'm stumped (Torment steering alignment)

RampantRC

Since I got my Torment, I've had to crank the steering trim almost all the way to one side to make it track straight.

Today, I installed an RPM steering rack. I figured I'd tweak things while I was in there and get my steering centered.

After an hour, I give up and am feeling like I have a better chance of finding a Kale salad at a Texas BBQ competition.

PhotoGrid_1470073780969.jpg

What gives? If I move the arm a gear on the servo, the problem just reverses itself and I have to crank the trim the other way instead. Adjusting the length of the threaded arm has the same effect. There's no middle-point, which is what I need. Like if the servo nub & arm had twice as many splines, I could nail it.

Do I just have a badly manufactured servo because you get what you pay for with bottom-of-the-price-range electronics, or is this normal, because I refuse to believe trimmed to one side = straight would be considered normal.

#confused #halp #hulksmash

Take that screw out on your servo in your pic and remove the horn. Then turn the transmitter and car on and put the steering trim knob to center. Now straighten your wheels and put the screw back into the servo and you should be good. Then do any fine adjustments on the trim knob.

I had to assUme that was done already. I've got a cheap servo tester I use to set up mine when the Rx is out. It just makes it much easier than having to drag out Tx, Rx, ESC, and a battery out on the bench. It has a full range sweep, manual control, and center options.

If one turn on the adjustable link doesn't work, try screwing it in two turns. Maybe there will be a spline on the servo that lines up better then?

You could also take apart the gears of the servo, put it back together and hope you end up with a slightly different neutral point on the splines.

Meh. Tried everything I could externally of the servo. It has to be the servo. The other Torment does not do this.

If it's such a headache, adjustable turnbuckles are not expensive. As long as the servo linkage doesn't hit the chassis (but I think the torment setup has plenty of clearance).

Yeah, that's one solution. I'll just grab a new servo and see what happens. I'm doing the adjustable links once I find them in stock somewhere, but having one set longer than the other in order to correct a steering is not a long-term fix.

Just thinking since it's only a 23 tooth servo. If removing the horn and letting it back to neutral/center with the remote doesn't work try removing it and putting it back in backwards if it's possible. A 24 tooth is symmetrical whereas 23 is an odd number. Just taking a stab at it being that way.

Turnigy 1258TG from hobbyking.com is what you seek. I'm impressed that stock servo is still alive, to be honest. I kept mine stock as long as I could and replaced it that servo.

Just spoke with a Horizon Hobby tech. Sounds like I have a servo that is just "off". Said to either correct it with adjustable links (like xlDooM suggested) or replace the servo. Will inevitably do both, I suppose. Planning to swing by a LHS in Redding, CA in an hour to see what they have in-stock.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back