Immediate ECX AMP upgrades?

Wetworth

So I'll be buying a pair of AMP DB's in the next few weeks. Weather is getting nicer and I need a good reason to get outside. I'm wondering if there are any immediate upgrades anyone would recommend for these cars. No go fast parts, though. These will be running at reduced speeds for a while. I believe bearings are included? Really just anything that will reduce maintenance or increase durability.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I've been out of the hobby for a while and I'm basically starting from scratch. All I have left over from long ago is what's left of a TA-02, a couple of Futaba AM transmitters and a battery charger that sucked 15 years ago. I also have an original Traxxas Jato, but those accessories won't be much help for this. So if anyone knows of any tools or accessories that they consider must haves.

The amp is great right out of the box but you will want to get a quick charger and some better batteries. I would recommend 7 cell nickel 5000mah. Also some 35 or 40wt oil for the shocks as far as durability ECX has taken care of that for you these things can take a beating. You are correct about the bearing they are included with the exception of the steering servo. When you are ready to upgrade the sky is the limit.

That sounds great. Do the 7 cell deliver more run time or speed? I was thinking of getting one of the quad chargers to limit downtime and be ready when we move onto lipos.

They are solid vehicles as is. My kids each have the MT and only time anything has broken was with a collision with my much heavier sl4sh and it just popped out a control arm pin. We drive them hard, too.

I think the shocks feel gritty. Not smooth at all so those could probably use an upgrade. And the steering is kind of slow and weak.

The 7 cell should be quicker; longer runtime is determined by the mah.

Sounds good, maybe a pair of stronger steering servos. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, though. At 1/4 speed, sluggish steering is probably the last think we'll notice.

A couple of extra batteries and a decent charger is all you will need to begin with. I have a Hitec x1 mini and love it. US$45.00 Hitec makes a dual port charger, the X2, but it runs about US$99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, maybe a pair of stronger steering servos. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, though. At 1/4 speed, sluggish steering is probably the last think we'll notice.

I'm thinking you won't notice the lack of strength, but you will notice the slop in the steering. The cars don't reverse straight, they wobble side to side like you wouldn't believe. I managed to stop that by zip tying the servo saver, but it's not easy as it tends to slide down off the spring. I'd buy the rpm bellcrank (servo saver eliminator) and a MG996R servo (basically the cheapest metal gear servo I could find that is not guaranteed to suck). The stock servo is really poor, even the recommended hop-up part from ECX is slow and weak, so a $10 metal gear servo still seems to be an upgrade. Mine hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know what gives.

I need to revise the price of the Hitec X2 charger: US$99. Not $200. (I can't edit my post for some reason.)

So uh, I got the MG996R servo for $3.98 and it's junk. It will not recenter properly after turning left. It's also slow as balls, although it's quite powerful.

Ordered a Tactic TSX40 last night along with a bunch of other things once the misses was in the other room.

Ahh, the ordering technique of the married man with hobbies. Now the tricky part is receiving the package and getting them on the truck. Once that is done, it is considered a win and she cannot contest your purchase. :D

beej, dont worry chief, your previous post(s) about the 1258TG were very convincing - its just Tower didn't have any during my order. The cooler more efficient running with lower travel time all sounded good, plus you seemed very excited about finding the alternative to the savox, so your post(s)(ss)(sss) havent fallen on deaf ears :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back