Kinexsis 4 pole 4000kv ESC/motor combo

mhlm17

Good morning,

As stated in title, does anyone have experience using the Kinexsis 4000kv ESC/motor combo? Seems to have great reviews on horizon hobby, and looks to be an intesteresting value upgrade for my 4wd brushed torrent.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

MHLM17

I have 2 in a couple Amps. Great value and plenty of kick for bashing. Been running them a couple years now. However, if you want to get into racing, I’d suggest looking into a full sensored set up. The 4000 is a monster that doesn’t have a lot of grace with throttle control. I’ve clocked mine at 56 mph by jacking up pinion gears. It goes faster, but pops a wheelie and crashes before I can reach top speed.

Thanks, Jeb. Looks like this might work for me, as I'm only looking at using this setup in a basher. You had me at, "The 4000 is a monster..." :)

The one I got was bad and It has no torque. I have it in my ECX circuit. I think it's the esc
I had one with the BEC malfunctioning and cooking servos. Horizon replaced it free of charge and have had no problems in 2 years since. You should contact Horizon, they’ll hook you up.

I'm having issue with mine and I haven't even ran a full battery through it. At times I give it throttle, and I see the ESC light up, but the motor doesn't spin. I've tried recalibrating the ESC, but no change. Between how quickly the brushed motor in my ECX Ruckus died, and the driveshafts, I'm going to be upset with Horizon if they dont do the right thing.

Try Re trimming your throttle channel. Then, slowly pull the trigger to the full throttle position. If the green light comes on toward the end of the throttle moving, I would imagine it's likely your motor. I did fix my issue by turning the drag brake completely off. No more problems after that, it's kind of strange.

Drag brake? Is that a setting on the esc or turning the throttle trim to full blast?

The drag brake is when the brakes are automatically applied to a certain percentage when the throttle is in the neutral position. It's usually used for crawlers so that they don't roll down the rock that they just climbed. I had them on because my front yard/sidewalk is very small so the split second I can open up the throttle, I have to immediately break hard after.

Here is a manual with a cheat sheet on how to program it
link: https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/KXSS0500-Manual-MULTI.pdf

Awesome ty. I've changed it to off and I'll retest. Did u leave the punch mode and max brake force at defaults?

My brakes are at 50% I'm not sure what I have my lunch on though. I think it's on the third option though. The drag was the only thing causing the problem for me

3rd option is level 3. You didn't want to try punch level 4? ? I bought a Traxxas wheelie bar but it's not installed yet. Did you change your pinion?

I have one wheel that doesn't spin equally as the other side. I have a feeling the diff needs more lube. I paid to have the motor installed and I think they skipped that part

I have mine on level 3 because my front diff is wearing down pretty bad. I have my combo in an ECX circuit 4x4. It's paired with a Floureon 2s 5000mAh battery. And I am using the stock gears

If you were holding the car in the air when you noticed the problem, That's probably no big deal. The one wheel is likely just turning slower because none of the wheels have any resistance. If the car is turning to one side under heavy throttle, that is probably because the weight is shifting to the other wheel. I would recommend checking the diff out anyway though.

I also think you should try it out yourself. RC cars are often intimidating when you first think of taking them apart, Then you start to remember where every screw is on your vehicle, and it becomes second nature. It's all up to you though. If you decide to and have any trouble, feel free to message me for help. I have worked on a couple of ruckus' as well so I know them pretty well too.

Thanks my new internet friend! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! What if I slightly give resistance to the one wheel and it doesn't give it any power. But the other side I can't give it enough resistance to stop it, ya know? I'll prob take it apart tonight but I guess I'll need to watch some how to videos. I'm not sure what all needs removed on the 2wd, do u?

Thanks my new internet friend! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! What if I slightly give resistance to the one wheel and it doesn't give it any power. But the other side I can't give it enough resistance to stop it, ya know? I'll prob take it apart tonight but I guess I'll need to watch some how to videos. I'm not sure what all needs removed on the 2wd, do u?

So the differentials job is to give more grip in the corners. So when driving in a straight line, the differential isn't active, but when the car is turning, the inside wheel is traveling less distance than the one on the outside. So the diff is still giving power to both wheels, just not as much to the inside as the outside is given (if you are following).

As for taking it apart, from what I remember, you take the motor cover off with a 1.5mm hex driver. Then you take off the slipper clutch. There might also be screws on the bottom (it's been a while since I last worked on one :p ) But you can take the whole rear assembly off of it and go from there.
Here is a how to video (most of the ECX 2wd trucks have the same layout) :

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back