Lipo battery

mattyd4201taim

So I have this 2s dynamite lipo battery hard case and getting back into the hobby after this winter, went to charge it but noticed the hard case cracked open on one of the corners. Now until I get another battery can I use this venom one that I have for my losi mini8 dune buggy work in my ecx amp?86C425E8-7F10-462B-9469-F64EF3C95A5E.jpegF56D5D04-56CD-4E2A-9661-7804F814AF62.jpeg

So I have this 2s dynamite lipo battery hard case and getting back into the hobby after this winter, went to charge it but noticed the hard case cracked open on one of the corners. Now until I get another battery can I use this venom one that I have for my losi mini8 dune buggy work in my ecx amp?View attachment 6888View attachment 6889
Yes you can use that battery.
Never used onyx before.

I also want to ask: Has anyone used tindling lipo battery? I bought one pack and feels good. It performs well, and the price is good, but I want to find more new ones
What brand of battery do you use for your rc car?

PUFFED LIPO BATTERY: WHY THEY SWELL AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT​

MARCH 15, 2017 ERIC TUTORIALS 6

puffed lipo
Anybody who uses lipos will eventually encounter a puffy or swollen battery.
And the first question that inevitably comes up is “What should I do?”
This post is all about what causes that swelling and what to do when it happens to one of your lipos.

Are Swollen Lipo Batteries Dangerous?​

Yes. Next question.
Seriously, there are so many examples of puffed batteries that start on fire that this shouldn’t even be a question.
That doesn’t mean that every battery that is puffed is going to explode as soon as you use it but it does mean that a high enough percentage of them are going to be dangerous that it isn’t worth the risk.

What Causes Lipo Batteries to Puff Up?​

puffed lipo batteryGas generation in lithium ion batteries is a normal thing. Even if you don’t abuse your battery, the normal everyday use of your battery will generate gas through a process called electrolyte decomposition.
The electrolyte decomposition occurs even faster if you overdischarge a battery or overheat a battery.

What is electrolyte decompostion?​

Simply put, a battery is made of three things: the anode, the cathode and the electrolyte. The cathode and the anode are the positive and negative terminals on your battery.
The electrolyte is a chemical inside the battery that allows charged ions to flow from the anode to the cathode during discharge (and the other way during charging).
Electrolyte decomposition is what happens when that electrolyte chemically breaks down. So in a lipo battery, as the electrolyte breaks down you end up with lithium and oxygen. This forms lithium oxide on the anode and cathode (depending whether you are charging or discharging).
But what you also end up with is excess oxygen that doesn’t adhere to the anode or cathode. This excess oxygen is part of what causes a battery swell. And oxygen likes to burn. See here for more details. He also goes over some other reasons a battery might swell.
Other gases that can be found in the battery during the normal chemical reactions of a battery are carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO).

Question, are hard case LiPo's worse? I would assume the hard casing somewhat hides the puffiness? Or do they help? I have had several really cheap soft packs puff, and die.

Question, are hard case LiPo's worse? I would assume the hard casing somewhat hides the puffiness? Or do they help? I have had several really cheap soft packs puff, and die.
I don't find them worse or better than soft case lipos. The cases are more the protect the battery from impacts. But the cases can still break.
If the lipo swells it will break the case open.
20210803_132228.jpg

The hard case on LiPo's have only one job, and that is to protect the cells of the battery. Shrink wrap, or soft cells as some call them, only have the wrap to protect the battery. In hard case batteries, when the cells start to get warm or get hot, the top surface of the case will start to deforme, look somewhat round instead of flat, and then at some point, the case will crack with continued use. There are times, after heavy use, once the battery cools down, the case will revert to its original shape, flat. NEVER charge a hot or warm LiPo battery. Always wait for them to COOL down.

I also want to ask: Has anyone used tindling lipo battery? I bought one pack and feels good. It performs well, and the price is good, but I want to find more new ones
What brand of battery do you use for your rc car?
I've been using Ovonic 2s 5000mah. Compared to gens-a-spammer of the same size, their run time and discharge rate are similar, but the price of Ovonic is much lower.

Latest posts

Members online

Back