Lock tight

FM73

So I upgraded my esc and motor to a tazer 6pole brushless set up. Second run and I did this. I found I had not properly thread locked the set screw on the motors gear. Lesson for today kids, take your time and the fun will last longer.

Attachments

• 9D506648-4A60-4682-A909-F5BCAD9B9896.jpeg
    9D506648-4A60-4682-A909-F5BCAD9B9896.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7
Often, then lesson hard learned are the lessons remembered. On the plus side, it gives you more opportunity to wrench on your truck. :D

Next upgrade has to be tires, these factory ones spin like crazy. It looks like a mustang leaving a car show searching for a crowd

I prefer the J concept brands. Way cheaper then Proline. I have nothing against proline, I have ran both. Just shop around on their websites.
There's other brands of course.
I would stay away from the Dirty-Trax. My opinions.

So I upgraded my esc and motor to a tazer 6pole brushless set up. Second run and I did this. I found I had not properly thread locked the set screw on the motors gear. Lesson for today kids, take your time and the fun will last longer.
Looking at that picture, from FM73, ...possibly a mesh issue? Picture also has me wondering what pinion gear was being used. Not all pinion gears are the same.

When I switched to a new motor/setup, I sometimes will get a super cheap aluminum pinion gear set

in hopes of determining the correct gearing needed to keep motor temps down. Some of those sets of gears don't have full width pinions, and they don't last long at all. They are okay for when you are in a racing environment and want to keep rotating mass down to a minimum. For off-road bashing duty, you want great pinion gears. Shop for a full width steel pinion gears to grab hold of your RC's spur. Robinson Racing is my go to brand, but there are others out there...

Last edited:
Thread lock on a pinion gear set/grub screw is user preference. I never used to put any on, but nowadays it's extra insurance. My favorite thread lock is the get type...HERE. I can control exactly how much comes out of the tip...less mess/less waste.

If you do use thread lock on a pinion gear set screw, all I can say is, make sure you have good allen head wrenches/drivers. Also, I highly recommend some sort of mini torch/jet flame lighter
4704 to melt the thread locker material on the set screw.

Don't use red. Never use red on RCs. NEVER!!!!!!
Blue all day long. Small amounts. Then it depends on the scale on how much you need and what type of part.

Your spur burned up because you had either bad mesh, wrong pitch, or mesh opened up due to loosening motor screw.

Bigger the pinion number on spur gear teeth, faster speeds, and hotter temps.
Lower numbers, more torque and lower temps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back