Loud spur gear after a tumble - ECX amp

Ecx_frills

hey all,

My son took the amp off a pretty big jump and landed on it's rear. Drove for a bit more and realized it's making a rough sound. Looks like the engine slipped a bit.

I took it to a hobby shop and they had a look at the spur and pinion. It needed to be meshed again. So we did that.

Now I find it's still quite loud. Should I replace the spur gear? It's not slipping, the teeth look good. It is particularly loud in reverse and it drives well. It's you can hear the gears. How damaged does it need to be to be repaired?

X

Conspiracy of One
Staff member
Supporting Member
Remove the pinion. Now rotate the drivetrain. Does it feel smooth? It's possible you damaged something else, like the differential.

Ecx_frills

Ok. I could not pull out my pinion gear, the hex screw is absolutely not turning for me which is fine, I just unmeshed the gears and turned the spur gear. Should it turn completely smoothly? I feel it turns quite smoothly but every once in a while I do feel a bit of the gears. Not much, but I do feel it. I am guessing that I'm going to have to take off the gear cover and have a good look at it.

It needs a good cleaning anyway, so I could do that.

Ecx_frills

Alright, I took the whole drive train apart last night and went through it gear by gear. Everything looks to be in good shape, everything spins properly, I greased up the gear box and the drive shaft. Meshed the gear as best as I could (not too tight, with a piece of paper between to keep a small gap) and it is still really loud. At least now it's all clean and I'll just drive it and not worry so much. The motor doesn't seem hotter than normal so I don't know what I did but thank you for the help!