Metal pinion and spur?

TymeKyller

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and just wanted to say thanks for us noobs to have a place to go to get help...
I bought my first rc, a used 4x4 rukus, got a good deal until I realized it needed things to be fixed...
I just bought a metal pinion and plastic spur (the gear that goes onto the motor (its metal) and the other gear (plastic) that it attaches to, to make the drive shaft spin) form my local rc shop... I must have done something wrong because I shredded the bigger gear in less than 10 minutes...
Just wondering if there is a metal one that wouldn't be so easy to grind all the teeth off? also I'm not sure how to adjust the motor for the gears.. I know there is that egg shaped metal thing on the motor you take 2 screws out and can turn it, but I'm not sure what the proper settings should be...
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
It's very common to run a metal pinion gear and a composite plastic spur gear. And those ECX MOD 1 (larger teeth) spur gears should be pretty tough when compared to 48 pitched (finer teeth). I run plastic MOD 1 spur gears in my 1/8 buggy without stripping issues. Perhaps your motor mount and/or gear mesh is the culprit. Also, you bought the correct pitch of pinion gear. Right?

When adjusting the pinion/spur gear mesh, there should be enough room, between the two gears, to be able to "rock" the spur gear back and forth just a tick (very small amount). If the gears are crammed together they will generate heat, and melting may occur. On the opposite side of things, having the gears too far apart will allow less than perfect mesh and have more potential for stripping as your RC is out there taking on the elements.

The motor mount screws, that clamp down on the motor plate, should have some type of thread lock applied to them. Metal to metal contact = thread lock needed (medium strength stuff). If you don't have any thread lock on those screws there is a very good chance of them coming loose with all the vibration going on.

Ok great!
I'm assuming they are the correct pitch, the guy at the RC shop is the one who picked them out for me...
Thanks for your help!

Go to 4:27

Set you gear mesh properly and there is no need for a steel spur gear. Stock motor/ESC, stock spur gear. My daughter runs a plastic spur gear on her brushless setup (4000kv/2s) and she’s run through 25-30 batteries on the stock plastic spur gear with the slipper cranked down pretty tight.

Thyme, the best way to to set the your pinion and spur is to loosen the motor screws and move the pinion away from the spur. Place a piece of note book paper between the pinion and spur gear and push the two gears together and tighten the motor mount screws. Rotate the spur and remove the paper.
I do use all metal gearing in my vehicles and if you go to a metal spur and pinion make sure they are hard steel (Hot Racing). Also use 125,000 wt. gear lube.

Latest posts

Members online

Back