Motor break in?

Lunitunz

I was unaware that breaking in an RC motor wass a thing. I've seen a few videos on the water break in method as well as a dry method.

I recent bought a torment 4x4 brushed running on a 2s lipo. I ran it pretty hard out of box and burnt out the first motor first day. I replaced with a titan 12t brushed motor and ran it pretty hard and it smells as if it's on it's way out. My question is should I have broke them in first. And is it too late to do this method of cleaning and breaking in?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Lunitunz, the smell is the brushes arcing on the commutator which is normal when a brushed motor gets hot. If your running in grass (not recommended with a brushed motor) it will get vary hot. If you run bigger rear tires it will run hotter. Running the 2S battery will also run the brushed motor hotter. You might want to try to gear down or go to a brushless combo and eliminate the problem all together. Brushed motors don't last very long unless you stay below 25 mph.

I’m running through lots of grass and hills also moving couple of frizzle fried brushed older ruckus motors ran with (2s)lices of pizza out for some fresh Pie( Brushless combo)! What’s best? I’m using the adjustable 50/75/100 radio for kids. Which I love cause I can get some time on any of theirs at 100 when they r done. “Needing the beef Wendy!!” Where’s it @?! 3000kv..? Or up to 3600?? Will that keep it slow?? And get through the deep stuff.. I do have some big hills !! Getting up it on the lawn tractor with chains on back is like being in my own tractor pull. With weights front and back! don’t want to add wheely bar...!! Do I really want to change pinion gear; if so 17,?18?19? ..(more torque,less speed) ?? Is there like a universal encyclopedia for these set ups that will provide the specifications when inputting desired output?? Haven’t found it... found you tho!! ;) please share those who are wise in this area. Thanks. I have 3-4 trucks to play with.. many kids depending on me,(besides mine). Don’t want to throw $ .. I’m studying !! Any talk on the break in?? ! And I’ve too heard of the water thing.???! Really.! What is the best way to break m in ??

Last edited:
So Justin, I'm guessing you want to go brushless but don't want to spend a lot of of money! Is that right? The 50, 75 ,100 radio is a good choice for teaching the kids. I would definitely stay out of the grass with a brushed motor and limit run-times with a brushless motor. It puts a strain on the motor and it will run hotter, brushed or brushless. The word is, if you can't leave your finger on the motor for 3 to 4 seconds, the motor is running to hot. As far as you wanting more speed you can put bigger tires on the back and do some wheelies if your into that. You can get some inexpensive tires for around 25 to 30 dollars, not the best, but a good start. Next would need a cheap GoolRc brushless combo, from eBay. They run anywhere between 38 and 50 dollars. Again. not the best, but will get you some of what you looking for. Then I would go with a 2S 5000 mAh 50C LiPo battery, all so from eBay. That will give more speed and run-time. Now here's the kicker, when you go to a LiPo battery you have to buy a LiPo balance charger, again you can pick one up on eBay for around 37.99, an iMax B680W. There is also the Venom chargers and others.
There are many other things you can do, but you would have to spend a little more money. As far as the GoolRc combo's goes, I will say, I put one in one of my sons RC trucks and haven't had any issues yet. Yes you can play with the gearing for more speed but then you will run into controlling problems and overheating motors, which can be solved with a little more money. For now I would stay with the stock gearing but would go with harden steel for the pinion and spur. I would also go with steel differential gears also. Hope this helps. This is my latest homemade upgrade on my Traxxas Bandit. I built a better and stronger spoiler, much better then the stock flimsy one.

Attachments

• 20210307_172130[1].jpg
    20210307_172130[1].jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210307_172148[1].jpg
    20210307_172148[1].jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210307_172206[1].jpg
    20210307_172206[1].jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 1
Sweet thanks , I’ve got the traxxas 2s lipos and ballance charger.. and you mistakenly thought I want more speed ... no... don’t want speed for these kids! Want to build so can manage the hills, grass and mulch beds ect these kids take them in. So will a lower Kv be good for extended life... requiring less power?? Easier on gears ect! ? Slower... ? Stick with the standard 3300 kv I think they stock now?? Yes attempting to save money... and keep the kids Rc’s rolling and slightly bashing!! ;)

Yes stick with the lower KV. The lower the Kv the more low end torque, the higher the Kv less low end torque but higher speed. Remember you/they have control of the trigger. You might even want to think about going 4 wheel drive if your in the grass, mulch and hills.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back