My Amp upgrade log

RC Rebels

Today makes one week of owning my amp. And the upgrades have already began.

Upgrades installed today
  • ECX Metal diff gears
  • Hot racing aluminium rear A arms
  • Hot racing CV axles
  • Hot racing aluminium front A arms
  • SkyRC 13.5T brushless sensored motor and ESC
Still have many more parts to install along with more in delivery

Attachments

• 1490660843958.jpg
    1490660843958.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 40
Interested to hear how the skyrc sensored motor will do.

As for the A-arms, they are a bit of a controversial item because aluminium arms could lead to breaking parts on the chassis itself. It's often regarded as a good thing that you can bend and twist the A-arms a fair bit upon impact and dissipate collision energy that way.

Once my skyfly reciever comes in I'll be do doing some testing on the SkyRC system. Testing with stock battery then testing with 3s Lipos. I'll post my reviews.

As far as the allumiumun A arms. I normaly use RPM but the lack of parts thru them for this model is limited to if any at all. But I do know not to put allumiumun parts all inline. You should go plastic allumiumun plastic in series. So that there is some give point.

**update ***
After wiring and programing esc to motor. And programing FlySky gt3c to esc. I programed the esc with the card and added a bit to much punch and timing.
Using venom 3s lipo batteries on first run may have been a mistake lol.
This thing is a rocket!! Pretty much way to much power for stock tires on the road. Haven't tested on any other surface yet. But definitely need to install my metal gear high torque servo. Just to keep up with the power this SkyRc 13.5t brushless combo is putting out. I'm still trying to pick up my jaw from the ground. No joke!! This build is totally worth every penny put into it

I'm not surprised :cool: I have a 3100KV motor on 2s and it's got so much more acceleration that I'm actually faster with the stock motor on the tight courses that I make in my yard (until I learn how to drive at least). Your motor on 3s is like the equivalent of a 3900KV motor on 2s speed wise, but with probably with even more torque, and with timing!

The stock tires aren't even that bad for on the road, lol. I wonder how you'll get on on gravel and the like, the thing will be pointing every which way when you touch the throttle. There's always this if you feel the need:
65686.jpg
Then you can see if the third channel on your remote is actually good for something :)

Screenshot_2017-03-31-21-20-26.png So today I installed this by hot racing. What a drastic Inprovement in steering. No rubbing on the chassis issues like I had with the stock set up. Very pleased with all there products!

So I took my amp out for some good old bashing. Speed testing and big jumps. I have say that I'm very glad I upgraded to hot racing allumiumun A arms. I had a nasty mid air hit with a steel pole. ( over jumped in a tight area) nothing got broken. Luckily. But the impact has either caused my motor to shift. Binding my spur n pinion gears. Or my new skyrc esc was damaged during impact.

Rear end seems very tight now. And truck wanted to start moving in reverse on its own. I'll be doing some bench testing today to see just what is causing these new issues. Will update in a few hours.

So I took my amp out for some good old bashing. Speed testing and big jumps. I have say that I'm very glad I upgraded to hot racing allumiumun A arms. I had a nasty mid air hit with a steel pole. ( over jumped in a tight area) nothing got broken. Luckily. But the impact has either caused my motor to shift. Binding my spur n pinion gears. Or my new skyrc ESC was damaged during impact.

Rear end seems very tight now. And truck wanted to start moving in reverse on its own. I'll be doing some bench testing today to see just what is causing these new issues. Will update in a few hours.
After doing some over looking of my amp. Turns out the impact caused my esc to go into limp mode. After reprogramming neutral, full throttle and brake again. All systems good. Problem fixed.

So I took my amp out for some good old bashing. Speed testing and big jumps. I have say that I'm very glad I upgraded to hot racing allumiumun A arms. I had a nasty mid air hit with a steel pole. ( over jumped in a tight area) nothing got broken. Luckily. But the impact has either caused my motor to shift. Binding my spur n pinion gears. Or my new skyrc ESC was damaged during impact.

Honestly, I would much rather have plastic A-arms. They will take a hit much better than aluminum and they are cheaper to replace if there is an issue.

Have you checked your throttle trim? If it is biased to reverse it could cause the reversing problem you're seeing.

Edit: you updated while I was typing. Seems you got it figured out.

So after another little nasty wreck. I lost the front shoulder screws. And stripped out the steering knuckles.

So I replaced the carrier block with RPM ones
And replaced the knuckles with hot racing allumiumun.
Also picked up a bunch of shoulder screws IMG_20170410_181420.jpg IMG_20170410_183423.jpg

Well I wasn't going to show my next step, but this is just to cool not to share!
1/10 Traxxas summit Exo cage
I also have the Apocalypse body from proline on its way!! Yup crazy body build in the works!! IMG_20170413_112239.jpg 1492097429544.jpg

Well today I decided was the day is paint my apocalypse body. Haven't painted a body in years. My airbrush decided it didn't want to work. So everything other then the black was done with a paint brush IMG_20170424_163709.jpg

Update
I have installed the 2.8 trencher 30series wheel n tires. Haven't gotten much run time on them yet to realy give my review on how well the do.

Also installed this sensored speed meter. I have not ran the truck since adding this. But did turn it all on. And programmed it to mph. IMG_20170426_115054.jpg IMG_20170426_115030.jpg

Well it's been awhile since I've done any kind of update on my amp build. So here we go.

I have decided enough is enough with playing around n flipping over popping wheelies at any speed. This truck will be going back to stockish.
I own a redcat blackout XTE Pro and have installed my SkyRC 2650kv brushless system into that truck. Running on 3s Lipos.
I installed that trucks 3800 brushless system into my amp on 2s Lipos. And still have the same exact issues.
So I ordered the redcat volcano brushed model. I will be installing the 3800kv system into that. And putting the 19t brushed system into my amp.

Those wheel extensions are junk!! I bought 2 sets of 4 and in order for them to work you need to completely drill them out bigger to fit over your axels. If u buy wheel extensions buy them from hot racing. Spend the extra money and get the good ones.

I haven't decided if the 2.8 trenchers 38series tires and apocalypse body will stay on the amp. Or get put onto the volcano.

Sorry for the long update. But 3s-2s Lipos in a 2wheel drive truck doesn't seem like a great fit for me. Both my others are 4wheel drive. And way easier to control

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back