My Barrage 1.9 BTR kit mods

Jason

I decided to remove the front chassis brace. I then cut it straight on both ends so I could use the threaded end parts to secure the shock tower. I also moved both shock towers as well as the chassis brace forward one hole on the frame. Now my front shocks are straight above the axle instead of leaning slightly to the rear. You can now remount the battery tray using one screw in the chassis brace. The front of the battery tray now sits perfectly on the front bumper mount. My battery plug still reaches the esc plug with zero issues.

You get more suspension travel and it would seem that moving the shocks/battery weight forward is a good thing. I’m happy with it Also I just realized that the remaining cut chassis brace center piece would bolt perfectly to the top of the remaining intact brace. Then the battery tray could be remounted, and you would have full front travel same as the back. I just mocked it up, and it’s perfect. Front of the battery tray is now floating above the bumper mount, but a small spacer will fix that. Wow I’ll make the spacer out of lead or steel, effectively giving me some extra weight up front. Haha, I’m proud of myself. I want to try some 10 weight shock oil next. Tell me what think about my mods so far. Thanks

B66FC073-38A1-4B1E-B62A-49CE1C3833BA.jpeg Looks good to me

Another view

81944105-DB91-45FA-9A3D-3D48D6B2CAF5.jpeg

The pic with the body on was taken before the mods

07438CED-23AC-4D03-A31A-8C852CB23673.jpeg

Just finished drilling two new holes in the body. Had to because I moved the front shock towers forward. This is so fun. I’m 43, and missed playing with RC cars. I’m so glad I picked this truck, scale crawling is RAD Damn it ! Now I want an Axial SCX10 2, and a Veterra Ascender, and a Traxxas TRX4.......and......lol

I also lowered the body posts, and cut them to fit with no excess hanging down by the top of the shocks. I used the top shock mount position on all 4 corners, effectively lowering the ride height and center of gravity. The truck is less tippy now.

BE42C343-0D0C-460D-A871-43CDE14F6F63.jpeg 4D1131A3-D10C-4710-81D5-E426927E41CC.jpeg

Three holes showing high in the front body mount, and one hole showing in the rear mount

946104EE-620B-488E-A4CD-C915451C6449.jpeg

3 inches up front with all 4 tires touching. I used my wife’s glass egg so I could adjust the position to maximum articulation. No body, with the stock battery in the truck. No extra weight and it’s just smooth slowly settling into place. I am definitely going to try lightweight oil. Is 10 weight what I’m looking for ? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Next I’m going to trim or sand down the plastic link end on the passenger side. Before I do this, can anybody tell me why having the front wheels with toe out would be a benefit ? It seems to me straight, or a very very slight toe in would be much better ? Let me know if I’m completely wrong, and why please. Thanks

When I did this build, I greased all the gears and oiled the bearings. Had to disassemble the gear box, as it is one of the pre assembled components. Took my time and made sure nothing was binding. I have only ran the battery though it three times so far, but it has really started to break in and seems smoother every time I take it out. So far I haven’t spent a dime except for a can of black spray paint. I am definitely going to purchase shock oil, and will be looking into a new steering Servo. My stock servo was horrible on the first two runs, but has since magically broken in and is now working ok. It’s still way weak and I want a new one regardless. I’m not looking for the super mega most bad ass Servo, just one that will get the job done on this truck for a decent price. I only want to buy it one time, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction for a servo I’d appreciate it.

Today while replacing my shock oil with TLR 15 weight I released that the shocks in the Barrage kit are different size. The overall length is all the same, but the shock bodies have two sizes. I had my shocks mixed matched as I just realized it. I installed the pair with the shorter bodies on the rear to utilize the unrestricted upper movement that the rear has compared to the front. I have my front suspension able to articulate almost as much as the rear now. I also adjusted my front end today, my wheels roll straight instead of having toe out. I took my truck outside underneath the street lamp to my testing grounds, “ the neighbors dirt pile next to his garden box ” and ran it for about 10 mins. What an improvement!! Climbed and descended better and had way less tendency to roll sideways. I totally recommend dumping that stock oil for some of a lighter weight

Oh ya, before I order the new steering servo that MC66 suggested, I had a question. One has 180 rotation and one has like 270 or something. Pretty sure both would work, but for this isn’t the 180 the normal one usually used for steering an RC truck ? Any thoughts on this would help, and thanks again MC66

Oh ya, before I order the new steering servo that MC66 suggested, I had a question. One has 180 rotation and one has like 270 or something. Pretty sure both would work, but for this isn’t the 180 the normal one usually used for steering an RC truck ? Any thoughts on this would help, and thanks again MC66
Either one will work, I purchased the one on the link because it has a metal arm!

BA743546-A104-4AF6-9231-5E4ADEDED6BF.jpeg E3CE1AF0-879D-4331-8343-D9F8C41CD921.jpeg I’ve been studying the Barrage as an option for my son. We both built Amp MT’s and had a blast upgrading them, but we spent a small fortune in the process. I picked up a barely used K-10 Ascender and I’m a bit nervous that he’ll not be able to keep up with me with the barrage. Kids also have no grace when it comes to being wedged between rocks. I want to spend our time crawling not fixing. Maybe he should drive the Vaterra and I’ll drive the Barrage. That seems fair.

76E65990-68CB-485A-B8E1-DEC045157296.jpeg I like the Asender, and was considering it for my second truck. I would enjoy reading your comments and opinions on it. I tinkered with my Barrage last night and decided to cut my front bumper, and a small unseen “from side view” piece off each shock tower. My steering servo would hit it during extreme manipulation of the suspension. I don’t think it would effect anything when driving, but that was the last possible binding point so goodbye small piece of plastic. Now when I manipulate the suspension nothing rubs, hits, or binds and I’m finally happy with it. I think you should let your son drive the Vaterra, cause after a few no cost/low cost mods and a LiPo Battery you are gonna be happy and enjoy the possible challenge of going all the places your son can. Then if he crashes or hammers it stuck in the rocks you won’t have to worry so much. I like how you think lol. Anyway, here is an update pic, and thanks for sharing

Oh ya, I also trimmed my fenders, no more rubbing and I think it looks better. More rock crawling/jeepy looking, and with the cut bumper the approach is much improved.

I dig that C-10 body on your Vaterra. I had a 68, and was thinking about getting the Proline 72 C-10 for the Stampede. “ same wheelbase as the barrage “, and painting it to match my old missed pickup. I just had an idea. I already moved my front shock towers forward one hole on the frame. That leaves me one more hole in the front, and if I flip the chassis braces benith the esc/receiver I’ll have one more hole in the back as well. So my idea is to move both front and rear shock towers to the last holes. And replace the ball ends on all the suspension links with longer ones I could slightly increase the wheelbase while retaining the same shock position. Anyway, with the longer wheelbase I bet a Veterra body might fit. Saw a video with a C-10 Veterra body on the Barrage and I thought it was close, but just not passable. I’m wondering about the Black Veterra C-10 that comes on their 4wd road cars. Any thoughts on my wheel base lengthining idea would be appreciated. Was just thinking that you might be able to lengthen each link by only changing one ball end on each. Might just be enough length, depending on how much length is needed. Can anyone suggest some ball ends with the right size cup that are a bit longer than the ones that come on the suspension links of the Barrage ? Thanks

If I end up trying my wheelbase lengthening idea and it works, I was thinking that now it might seem a lil narrow ? Haha, what a dreamer. Anyway, does anyone think some extended hex things would hurt anything ? Possible different wheels with a different offset ? Or it could look fine and I should stop lol

I changed some stuff. Forward mounted the electronics, and moved my battery tray. I’m about to go run it, will see how it handles. All weight up front, and full unblocked articulation back and front now.

4CC5F446-B475-4CA5-B17B-915DC8D789BC.jpeg

2B0B623A-863E-46D8-9D81-32467A52E986.jpeg

I picked up a couple sheets of aluminum scale diamond plate at my LHS. It’s made by RC4WD, and it seems like good quality. Anyway, I got busy having fun with this stuff and this is what I got done so far. Let me know if it’s horrible

DE9D2498-775A-4A91-8977-404B75A114A9.jpeg CA94436E-DE56-489B-B92B-CFA62B98DC80.jpeg 1EAAC299-1C1F-4E03-83DD-C184113CF879.jpeg

Also, I ran my truck at a park with trails by the river this weekend and it handled and crawled super nice. I am super happy I moved my electronics up front, and relocated the battery tray. This truck has exceeded my expectations and has gotten me back in to RC. Haha I’m hooked. I’m getting an Axial SCX10 2 Deadbolt. That’s my decision. Second place was the kit version, and my third choice was the Vaterra. Still might come home with the Axial kit version, but I’m going to try n be good and just go have fun with the Deadbolt so I don’t end up spending all me loot.

Also, I ran my truck at a park with trails by the river this weekend and it handled and crawled super nice. I am super happy I moved my electronics up front, and relocated the battery tray. This truck has exceeded my expectations and has gotten me back in to RC. Haha I’m hooked. I’m getting an Axial SCX10 2 Deadbolt. That’s my decision. Second place was the kit version, and my third choice was the Vaterra. Still might come home with the Axial kit version, but I’m going to try n be good and just go have fun with the Deadbolt so I don’t end up spending all me loot.
That looks good man.

Thanks I appreciate it. I will post more pics. I plan on tinkering with it tonight after work, and going on another trail adventure tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Back