Need help with pinion gear

Jakenew101

I recently replaced the plastic spur gear on my Ruckus with a Hot Racing 87t 48p steel gear. While doing this I noticed that the screw pin on my pinion gear was loose, so I applied some blue Loctite & reassembled. After about 5min of drive time (the next day, plenty of time for Loctite to cure) the screw pin was loose again. Any pointer on how to remedy this problem?

Red loctite the permenant stuff if you need it off again apply enough heat and it will come off. Just have patience when trying to get it off enough heat will do it. My ruckus does this sometime well used to till I used the red stuff. 270 I think all though my bottles worse for wear so can no longer read it. Metal on metal causing you more vibration might be the cause so the red loctite should sort it out mate. Ever happen when u had the plastic spur gear on ?

Red loctite sort you out there no doubt leave it to set and jobs a gooden
Got red Loctite on it now. Just waiting for it to dry, gunna take it for a test drive tomorrow & see if it solved the problem. I can’t imagine it’ll come out again with the red stuff on there.

Got red Loctite on it now. Just waiting for it to dry, gunna take it for a test drive tomorrow & see if it solved the problem. I can’t imagine it’ll come out again with the red stuff on there.
Jakenew101, since you used the red loctite, if you need to remove that pinion, remove the motor first before using heat. This will keep you from accidentally melting any plastic. In the future, you can take a small hammer and put a small flat spot on the end of the set screw, this will make the set screw screw in a little tighter, sort of like a lock nut. We learned this in machine shop technology and metallurgy in college. Sometimes if you have a stripped out hole you can use that same process.

Jakenew101, since you used the red loctite, if you need to remove that pinion, remove the motor first before using heat. This will keep you from accidentally melting any plastic. In the future, you can take a small hammer and put a small flat spot on the end of the set screw, this will make the set screw screw in a little tighter, sort of like a lock nut. We learned this in machine shop technology and metallurgy in college. Sometimes if you have a stripped out hole you can use that same process.
Jakenew101, since you replace your spur gear with the Hot Racing hardened spur, you'll want to also use a Hot Racing hardened pinion gear or other brand. A hardened spur and and a mild steel pinion won't last very long. The harden steel will eat up the mild steel pinion.

Jakenew101, since you replace your spur gear with the Hot Racing hardened spur, you'll want to also use a Hot Racing hardened pinion gear or other brand. A hardened spur and and a mild steel pinion won't last very long. The harden steel will eat up the mild steel pinion.
Thanks for that info. I’ve actually been wondering about this… I’m gunna search the interwebs & order one right now. Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back