Need some help on the AMP MT 1/10 2WD

If you can solder, don't buy an adaptor, buy some dean connectors, heck I found a set of 10 on amazon for $2.97 free shipping.
Just swap the EC3 on the ESC for a deans. It'll save you a few dollars. Well, unless you have to buy a soldering iron too.... LOL

Deans set of 10 on Amazon
Thanks. Took your suggestion. Bought the Dean connectors and I'll try out my soldering. Fingers crossed lol.

Just remember use flux and melt the solder into the wire. Don't just drip solder onto the connection. You will not get a good joint. One thing I do is melt a good amount of solder into the bare wire to make almost a solid single wire. Then heat your connector until it melts the wire to the lead. It's a good way to get a controlled placement.

Just remember use flux and melt the solder into the wire. Don't just drip solder onto the connection. You will not get a good joint. One thing I do is melt a good amount of solder into the bare wire to make almost a solid single wire. Then heat your connector until it melts the wire to the lead. It's a good way to get a controlled placement.
Thanks a lot for the pointers. That helps. I can't even think the last time I've messed with a soldering iron so it could be interesting.

Just be careful with cheap deans connectors they can melt fairly easily. Put the male and female part together when soldering to help keep the tabs together in case the plugs start to melt. If I had to do it all over again I would be using XT60 connectors they are easier to solder (to me anyways)

Good advice from @vmabuck and @Heyitsme, XT60's would probably be the best overall solution, not sure how soldering Traxxas connectors is. They seem robust enough.
Don't forget some heatshrink to keep the exposed solder and wire covered up.

I would recommend the 3000kv system. I have a 3900kv and 3100kv system, and the 3100kv stays cool no matter how bad I beat it, and I run in tall grass with larger tires. Doesn't have quite the snap of the 3900kv, but it's still got more power then what's usable in reality. Since this is for your son, I'd recommend a controller that can limit the throttle. I looked at the one you linked, and it's a nice one that can be hacked for more channels if ever needed, just not sure if the throttle can be limited? It'll be twice as fast as the stock brushed system, so might want to ease him into the full potential.
The goolrc systems are hit or miss, kind of a gamble, seems 1 out of 8 or so don't last. Probably bad quality control, and the capacitors seem to be a weak link. I have a couple, with great luck, but would say stick with the kenexsis. The goolrc motors are good, so if you ever wanted or needed just a motor, I'd say get a goolrc motor.

I am very pleased with our Amp MT kit that I have converted to a brushless DB. I run it on 3s, but 2s is plenty fun. I run the drive shafts from a Traxxas Slash 2wd, which needed minor mod to work, but seem stronger. I did not break the stock though. Same deal with the trans gears and spur, steel but stock did not break. I also run RPM rear suspension arms because I lost one of the rear suspension pins once. I use this CHEAP, rebadged Hobbywing 50A/3500kv combo from China (Ali Express) HW 50A/3500kv. Oh, and I use a $5 Flysky RX with a modded (battery) FSGT3B.

Or you can use Venom batteries with the universal connector kit, this will allow you to connect to any type of connector.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Venom-1-10-RC-LiPo-Batteries/40700/bn_57056073

I would advise paying a little more and buying authentic connectors. Also, pay close attention to position when soldering those Traxxas connectors on correctly, to get the metal tabs to sit nicely into the plastic ends.

Oh man, didn't even consider any of that. Geez, this keeps getting more and more over my head. So maybe the Tenergy charger makes more sense (only reason I was thinking the Imax was because it was cheaper, but after buying the connector, it's about even).

Ok, so can you break it down for a total moron when it comes to this haha? The brushless combo is an EC3 and the battery is a Deans, so I need a Deans male to EC3 female adapter (link) for that, correct? Then to charge the battery, I need to convert the connector leads to a Deans male, correct? Is this a solder job, or can you do it with an adapter? If so, is there a walk through out there or something? I've never done any of that, so I'm truly clueless.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...MImrCgz4z73wIVk4TICh05xwN-EAQYASABEgJCEPD_BwE

+

https://www.amainhobbies.com/common...tery-w-ec3-7.4v-5200mah-csd2s5200-35e/p545328

Both are EC3. Charger will charge LiPo or NiMH. I’d say the 4000kv system would be your best bet. Truck is light enough that you don’t need the grunt of the 3000kv system. Stuff will break, but fixing it with your boy can end up being more fun/satisfying than driving. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Btw, it’s cheaper if you buy your esc and motor seperately, I don’t have a link of them, but I have a photo of what they look like. I got a $12 motor and a $20 esc and they work fine and my truck goes prettt fast. I also got a Flysky receiver and transmitter combo for $25~ on eBay

Attachments

• DAF6C3BF-F9D5-4F36-A349-874E309BF1CB.jpeg
    DAF6C3BF-F9D5-4F36-A349-874E309BF1CB.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 48974704-5D73-47DC-BB54-FE5B10DB9B2C.png
    48974704-5D73-47DC-BB54-FE5B10DB9B2C.png
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back