New AMP MT owner with a couple questions

Treeman

Hi all!
A couple weeks ago I bought my 8 year old son an AMP MT BTD kit and myself an RTR setup. It's our first "real" RC experience and so far we've been having lots of fun with them!
I bought some 2s 5200mAh lipos and have ordered 2 of these metal geared servos and I have a couple questions:
  • with the new servo and an aluminum servo arm, using the RPM servo saver eliminator should be ok for not stripping the servo?
  • do I need to upgrade the gears to metal?
  • what would be a good "starter" brushless setup?
  • anyone use the FlySky it4s transmitter? any good?
I'm in Canada, so if any has any advice on good places to order from other than Amazon, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Good call getting some lipos but just remember the stock 2 in 1 esc /rx doesn't have lipo cutoff so I would remember to run with a lipo alarm. The servos you got are going to be too tall to fit without modification. Using the RPM SSE and a metal gear servo what will usually happen is the toe ball links will pop off in a hard enough crash. I would run a metal gear servo with the RPM SSE and not take the chance with a plastic gear servo somethings got to give with no servo saver in a crash I wouldn't want it to be the servo. A Kinexsis combo what be a good choice $75 and you have a warranty. You can get something like a Goolrc combo for cheap but reliability is hit and miss (and really no warranty).

I just installed the same servo and RPM steering bellcranks, looks pretty sturdy overall and agree that the most likely thing that will happen is the steering links pop off. You will need to shave down the top edge of the servo because it sticks out further than the stock one. Also a good idea to get some sealed bearings for the steering rack while you're in there.

I found a shop locally where I can get the Kinexsis combo so that’s going to be purchased soon.

You will need to shave down the top edge of the servo because it sticks out further than the stock one.

I did a dry fit with the stock assembly and yea, it will need to be modded. Do you have pics of where you shaved it off? I was just going to return them to Amazon and pick up a couple Power HD servos but if it’s an easy mod, I’ll just keep them.

Look into GoolRC brushless setups. They can be had for $30-40. I personally wouldn’t spend more than that on a “starter” brushless setup. When you get bored with the cheapo either sell the whole rig for something already brushless ready (beefed up driveline) or put a Castle brushless setup ($120) in and be done with it. Well, I would t say DONE, because stock axle shafts and transmission gears won’t last too long with that power. And as mentioned above, that 2-in-1 unit will have to be replaced so a new radio will be in order for whatever power train upgrade you choose. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the hobby Treeman, good choice for your first rc. My first rc was also the Amp five years ago, great truck for newbies. It definitely dose not look like the Amp I bought fives years ago, it's been totally upgraded to the max. We have 29 rc now, I'm starting to loose count (just bought another DHK Hunter today) but my Amp is still my favorite. Have lots of fun.

20190109_165658.jpg20190109_164119.jpg20190113_200425.jpg20190108_163305.jpg20190108_163249.jpg

I did a dry fit with the stock assembly and yea, it will need to be modded. Do you have pics of where you shaved it off? I was just going to return them to Amazon and pick up a couple Power HD servos but if it’s an easy mod, I’ll just keep them.

Just need an Xacto knife and trim away on the top edge. The servo horn that comes with the servo is also the perfect length (shorter hole).

IMG_8372.jpg

So an update:
Picked up a pair of Power HD waterproof servos that fit in with no mod required. Also installed aluminum horns and the RPM servo saver eliminator. I had ordered the lipo alarms and after a good coating of plastidip, they are working great. As of now, I don't think a brushless upgrade will happen any time soon, they have plenty of punch just with the lipos and my son is still getting used to not over steering. We may look into some new wheels though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back