New ESC fo AMP MT

Nordklint

New to this so sorry if stupid question. My steering went bust on my MT after a few rides so i bought a new Servo but I think I need to replace the ESC/Rx as well. I don’t want to buy the stock ECX13010 since it a bit crap I guess. so the question is; Is there a good alternative that will allowe for a brushless upgrade at a later state? What do you recommend?

If you are going to replace the ECX13010 with a brushless system, you will need to fit in a receiver for the radio as well. Since, well, your current stock one is housed inside the ESC 2-n-1 kind of thing.
There are a boat load of brushless systems available, from cheap to expensive. From high torque to high speeds. I cut my teeth, so to speak, on a GoolRc brushless system, cheap system, and is still running good in one of my torments. I will tell you it is not as fast as the Onyx system or the Hobbywing system I have currently, but it does work, at least the one I got does. I may be comparing apples to oranges when it comes to the brushless systems I currently have I am sure there is some spec in each that determines their limits.
Right now the Onyx system is the fastest one I have right now, but I also havn't had much time with driving and any tweak sessions with the Hobbywing system.

We can suggest a cornucopia of brushless systems ( and those suggestions are just our opinions), but we need to know first what exactly do you expect and want with a brushless system? Wheelies galore? 40-60-80mph? Budget?

I will also say, I have started running 3s LiPo's in my brushless systems, and I will tell you straight up, there is a big difference in 2s LiPo and a 3s Lipo, holy cow.......

If you are going to replace the ECX13010 with a brushless system, you will need to fit in a receiver for the radio as well. Since, well, your current stock one is housed inside the ESC 2-n-1 kind of thing.
There are a boat load of brushless systems available, from cheap to expensive. From high torque to high speeds. I cut my teeth, so to speak, on a GoolRc brushless system, cheap system, and is still running good in one of my torments. I will tell you it is not as fast as the Onyx system or the Hobbywing system I have currently, but it does work, at least the one I got does. I may be comparing apples to oranges when it comes to the brushless systems I currently have I am sure there is some spec in each that determines their limits.
Right now the Onyx system is the fastest one I have right now, but I also havn't had much time with driving and any tweak sessions with the Hobbywing system.

We can suggest a cornucopia of brushless systems ( and those suggestions are just our opinions), but we need to know first what exactly do you expect and want with a brushless system? Wheelies galore? 40-60-80mph? Budget?

I will also say, I have started running 3s LiPo's in my brushless systems, and I will tell you straight up, there is a big difference in 2s LiPo and a 3s Lipo, holy cow.......
Thanks for your time! Ok I get it. To be honest I just want to update it to something that is of better quality and is more reliable and fairly easy to install. For price probably something mid range. Is there some good bundles?
The more I look around and read the more confused I get, it’s such a jungle:)
But great fun!

Glad this was posted because as of today i am in the same boat. My oldest sons MT quit steering. So i too was thinking of an upgrade and after reading this thread i am very interested. I more wanted to stay at the same speed though but with more reliability.

There are members on this forum that are way way smarter about this stuff than I am. So take my "opinions" with a grain of salt.

If you want to stay at the same speed and the cheapest route, purchase a replacement ECX13010 ESC/RX for your cars. If you want a little room to improve later down the road, this is what I purchased when I jumped from Nimh packs to LiPo's.
GoolRc.jpg

I also went deep into the rabbit hole and purchased Zeee 2s LiPo's as well.
I still have both of these, and they are still in one of my Torments, and they do still work, and it's been 1.5-2 years now. I'm not trying to sell you on this combo at all, I did read some reviews before i purchase them, that others have had somewhat lackluster results with them. You mileage may very.

Zeee 2s.jpg

Now keep in mind, your current ECX13010 is a 2-n-1, it houses the ESC and the RX, which is the receiver for your Transmitter (radio), on top of moving to the brushless system of your choice, you will also need to find a receiver that will bind and work with your current transmitter. So you will have to research that a bit or post your radio here, I could assume what you have if you purchased it new and it is the stock radio that came with the kit. But I would hate to do that and then lead you down the wrong path.

To end this post, I do want to say, if I had to do it over again, and if you are going to spend time in the hobby for some years, I would/should have went with a more top tier setup at the start, not that I have had problems, but my need for wheelies galore surpassed my initial budget quickly....LOL
I would have spent the extra money and got a Hobbywing, Castle, or Tekin, setup off the bat and had a lot of room for improvements later on. Not only for their reliability, but for their customer service as well. I cant go back to the ebay store I purchased the GoolRc system from if I had a issue outside the 30 days? But again, I shouldn't tell you what you should do, just offer you my experience.

Upon further inspection of my sons servo you can see the internal heat damage on the casing. Is the ESC bad also?...guess i wont know until i try another servo unit. So Nordklint your servo may be the only problem you have.

internal heat damage.jpg

Yep, she got hot!
I think @Nordklint 's problem may be a bit different? I think he did actually purchase a new servo and it wouldn't work right, or at least after a few turns, but it did work right in another car that he owns.

I got this brushless system off Bangood, working very well so far.

Surpass Hobby Waterproof F540 3300KV Brushless Rc Car Motor +45A ESC Combo Set For 1/10 Rc Car

Got the ECX13009 from Horizon to go with it, as well.

All in all very affordable upgrade. :)

I agree with matt, those are very affordable upgrades.
Some of those combo's look exactly like the GoolRC combos. Most likely are in fact just rebranded.
This one in particular.

I actually think my GoolRC 4000kv combo was $30-35? It's been a while.

GoolRC?/Surpass

On a side note, we just had to return a RC Kit to Bangood a week or so ago, and it was surprisingly simple. There was no issue with it, we just found a better deal (on Bangood). So we took the un-opened package back to the post office and had them "return to sender" (it needs to be reflected in the shippers tracking) and they immediately refunded us. +1 :)

If we had opened it, then we may have had to pay return shipping to China...not sure about that, but for this experience it worked well! In the end, my son got a new small crawler to play around with, and do some at home modifications.

It’s funny though the pic I posted reminded me of other things with electronic boxes that I have replaced I.e. CDI box on my in-laws 4 wheeler…Electronic spark box on my sons 4 wheeler. Voltage Regulator on my 74 D100 truck and now this servo but they all have that same bubbling of the plastic to show failure.

My son's stock ESC/RX melted (smoke started billowing out of the thing) so replaced the ESC with a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060, the TX/RX with FlySky FS-GT3B and moved over to 2S LiPos. Chose the FlySky as it has the end point control on the throttle so I can drop the max power down to save me money on yet another set of front suspension arms when he crashes the thing into curbs at full tilt. 😂

Latest posts

Members online

Back