New Ruckus 2WD already needs new motor

A 2wd Ruckus is not like running a AMP two different sized RC's. You will have more gearing options with a lower kv motor than running something like a 5700kv motor in a Ruckus. I run a 4300kv motor in my Ruckus now and it is all the power on 2s that I need for general bashing. If I want straight line speed I will pop in a 3s lipo and have more of a wheelie machine :D

A 2wd Ruckus is not like running a AMP two different sized RC's. You will have more gearing options with a lower kv motor than running something like a 5700kv motor in a Ruckus. I run a 4300kv motor in my Ruckus now and it is all the power on 2s that I need for general bashing. If I want straight line speed I will pop in a 3s lipo and have more of a wheelie machine :D
I'm in a similar boat with my ruckus. I run a 3300kv Tazer on 2s geared 87/19 and it's more than enough speed and torque for me, and I can pull wheelies all day long with this thing.

On 3s, I can only pull half throttle before it becomes uncontrollable. This is not fun because it's usually flipping over on its lid.

I guess it's all of a matter on what makes the truck fun for a person.

I'm in a similar boat with my ruckus. I run a 3300kv Tazer on 2s geared 87/19 and it's more than enough speed and torque for me, and I can pull wheelies all day long with this thing.

On 3s, I can only pull half throttle before it becomes uncontrollable. This is not fun because it's usually flipping over on its lid.

I guess it's all of a matter on what makes the truck fun for a person.

Yep on 3s I really can't get to full throttle before it wants to go airborne. I do have a wheelie bar but on 3s full throttle is not really possible even if I loosen up the slipper to stop the wheelies it's too much slipping. I already blew a tire off once (not stock) on 3s with others coming unglued. 3s running is not a everyday thing I just pop in a 3s lipo when I feel like being stupid. The Ruckus 2wd just like the 2wd Stampede is not really built for speed. But I won't knock anyone for trying like you say whatever makes it fun for yourself may not be what makes it fun for another. Customize and go whatever direction you want take whatever advice is given for what you think it might be worth.

Thanks for the help so far. I went ahead and threw in a new brushed motor while I wait for the brushless combo to get here from China. The truck ran fine through 1 battery (nimh} so I let it sit for an hour and then ran another one. That's when I ran into a problem.

The truck now runs full throttle for the first 30 seconds and then looses nearly all acceleration. When I cycle the ESC it again has full power for 30 seconds d and then nothing.

So is the ESC also shot?

Thanks for the help so far. I went ahead and threw in a new brushed motor while I wait for the brushless combo to get here from China. The truck ran fine through 1 battery (nimh} so I let it sit for an hour and then ran another one. That's when I ran into a problem.

The truck now runs full throttle for the first 30 seconds and then looses nearly all acceleration. When I cycle the ESC it again has full power for 30 seconds d and then nothing.

So is the ESC also shot?
Did you try binding the ESC with the radio again? Sometimes that will fix the problem.

So is the ESC also shot?

Have you changed the voltage cutoff from LiPo to NiMh? It look like a LiPo low voltage cut off behaviour.

I can get 2 goolrc/okday/surpass/racerstar esc/motor 3900kv combo for the price of 1 trackstar and they can be used on 3s. Sure, the ECX ruckus/amp/MT 2wd drivetrain need to be upgraded to be used on 3s or even on 2s with a brushless motor.

How do you waterproof your esc's

Conformal coating, Liquid nails clear seal silicone, or even top coat finger nail polish for splash resistance. All sorts of different ways look on Youtube you will find different ways. But manufacturers use conformal coating. Don't cover the fet's under the heatsink just around them. The cheap escs just have a few screws to remove the fan and the cover to get to the electronics.

I'd like to spend as little as possible but I would spend a few extra $$ for brushless if it's worth it (again not an expert on brushed vs brushless).

Most importantly I would like a reliable motor that doesn't have so much power it damages other components.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-3000kv-80a.html

A better option than the GoolRC (have one in an Arrma Granite and it’s “OK”, but not a true 1/10th scale motor) and much cheaper than the Castle, which I also have in my 4x2 Ruckus (SW SCT/3800). I’d recommend the Castle if cost wasn’t a factor, but it will also require drivetrain updates to be reliable even on 2s.

Just my 2 cents...
I can get 2 goolrc/okday/surpass/racerstar esc/motor 3900kv combo for the price of 1 trackstar and they can be used on 3s. Sure, the ECX ruckus/amp/MT 2wd drivetrain need to be upgraded to be used on 3s or even on 2s with a brushless motor.

While I will say if you want something more reliable (better quality also) go with Hobbywing or Castle the OP said he wanted to spend as little as possible. That style of esc (45a/60a) in the combo I had referenced has been solid for me (YMMV) for the past few years they are not waterproof but can be made water resistant fairly easily. Goolrc and the like (Racerstar, Ocday, Surpass etc.) can be hit and miss but like @Jym73 has said you can two or three combos (depending on where you buy) for the price of some other combos. You may get a dud or you may end up having two or three decent combos for bashing. I won't argue the quality difference between spending more or less it's up to the individual to spend less or more. In the end I will choose a cheap brushless combo over running a brushed motor (IMHO).

I went ahead and bound the remote with the truck and there was no real change. I have tried 2s Lipo and Nimh w/ the respective settings correct on the ESC with no real difference. I guess I will just wait until the new ESC gets here to see if that is the problem. In the mean time I picked up an ECX amp DB and ARRMA Granite "for my kids."

I went ahead and bound the remote with the truck and there was no real change. I have tried 2s Lipo and Nimh w/ the respective settings correct on the ESC with no real difference. I guess I will just wait until the new ESC gets here to see if that is the problem. In the mean time I picked up an ECX amp DB and ARRMA Granite "for my kids."

Yeah I would just wait till the brushless combo gets to you and not fool with it anymore but that's just me (I have other RC's).

What Granite the Mega, BLX or the Granite Voltage?

Latest posts

Members online

Back