New to the hobby. Second time breaking this piece in a week. Any suggestions? Is there a metal replacement?

I replaced the hinge pins with longer 6-32 screws and ran them so they just came out in the battery box area. I drilled the a arms out slightly becasue the screws are a little thicker. I planned on installing a nut on the other end, but it wasn't needed. Its held up great for a year now, on brushless power with 2.8s. Did end up snapping one screw, so if you do this, grab a couple extra.
Now to be fair, i got this idea from someone else on here, i initially just used tent stakes i cut longer then the hinge pins and had them extended flush into the battery tray, with another set screw on that end holding it like the backside has stock. One of my trucks is still like that, but they aren't as strong as the 6-32s, so once they fail I'll use the screws on that one aswell.

I replaced the hinge pins with longer 6-32 screws and ran them so they just came out in the battery box area. I drilled the a arms out slightly becasue the screws are a little thicker. I planned on installing a nut on the other end, but it wasn't needed. Its held up great for a year now, on brushless power with 2.8s. Did end up snapping one screw, so if you do this, grab a couple extra.
Now to be fair, i got this idea from someone else on here, i initially just used tent stakes i cut longer then the hinge pins and had them extended flush into the battery tray, with another set screw on that end holding it like the backside has stock. One of my trucks is still like that, but they aren't as strong as the 6-32s, so once they fail I'll use the screws on that one aswell.
Thank you

I had the same problem and attributed it to the stock pins being too short, so they don't really seat well in the parts and subsequently end up popping out and damaging the plastic with very minor impacts. I ended up replacing the pins with these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/3023a347

You have to cut them to size with a Dremel, but if you do it right they won't pop out and damage the plastic parts like the stock ones do. They are slightly wider than the stock pins so it also eliminates the slop in the arms. I replaces the front and back and it's made a big improvement. Also, after breaking this part twice, I called Horizon Hobby and complained and they send me the new parts for free. They claim to not know about the issue, but didn't argue when I asked for free replacement parts.

Same issue on my 2 cars, definitely a design issue. The pins need to be about 2 mm longer. Severe bashing on my end and rear wheel hits when playing tag.

The size of the rod is 2.75mm +/- 0.01 with micrometers, so I'll assume it's just below 2.75mm.

I bought Drill Blanks from https://www.minibearings.com.au/store/partstab/roddrillblanks/41/a/?v=8165 . They are H.S.S. so will need cutting with an abrasive disc (Dremel or Grinder). I got 2.705 cause they were in stock and I didn't want to wait the 4 weeks delivery time, hopefully slightly under size will be OK.

I wouldn't use threaded parts cause the thread with act as an abrasive on the plastic parts.

Attachments

• Drill blank sizes.JPG
    Drill blank sizes.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 5
Same issue on 2 out of 4 of our cars, Hinge pins too short was my diagnosis as well. Made some longer pins havent had it happen again since. 2-3mm longer is all that is needed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back