Nima vs LiPo. Nimh getting better run times?!?!

MnWade

My Torment came with the 2s 20c 1800 mah LiPo. I barely got 10 minutes out of it today before the lvc kicked in. My kids have the stock 1800 mah nimh batteries in their Amp MT's and they're getting around 20 minutes out of those. Makes me think twice about buying more LiPos. What could be causing such a difference in run times?

Perhaps the low voltage cutoff is set a little high? Also, the motor/ esc setup is different between the two trucks. Yours will draw a little more current. I, personally, would likely buy a larger capacity battery. Something in the 5000mAH range. That'll last you 45 minutes to an hour.

Perhaps the low voltage cutoff is set a little high? Also, the motor/ ESC setup is different between the two trucks. Yours will draw a little more current. I, personally, would likely buy a larger capacity battery. Something in the 5000mAH range. That'll last you 45 minutes to an hour.

Thanks for the insight @X.

The lvc is not adjustable on this esc. The cells were at about 3.6v when it cut out anyway and from what I hear that's about right.

I decided to pick up a 7 cell 4200mah Nimh pack yesterday. We'll see how that does.

Thanks for the insight @X.

The lvc is not adjustable on this ESC. The cells were at about 3.6v when it cut out anyway and from what I hear that's about right.

I decided to pick up a 7 cell 4200mah NiMH pack yesterday. We'll see how that does.

Yes, 3.6V is just fine for a cutoff. You'll get a little better run time out of that 4200mAh NiMH, but you'll also likely notice a little power difference. LiPos tend give a little better punch, also, they maintain the power better through the life of the battery. Both through a run, and long term.

Yes, 3.6V is just fine for a cutoff. You'll get a little better run time out of that 4200mAh NiMH, but you'll also likely notice a little power difference. LiPos tend give a little better punch, also, they maintain the power better through the life of the battery. Both through a run, and long term.

I was definitely impressed by the punch and more linear power curve of the LiPo. My next battery purchase will probably be a good quality 5000mAh LiPo. For now the NiMH will do.

I run 4000 mAh LiPo batteries in my Boost and AMP. I almost get bored driving before the battery hits LVC!

Sadly the 1800 mAh capacity is practically nothing. I think HH should have just stuck with shipping NiMh batteries with those cars and leaving in the decent Spektrum Tx/Rx combo of the DX2E and SR310.

I run 4000 mAh LiPo batteries in my Boost and AMP. I almost get bored driving before the battery hits LVC!

Sadly the 1800 mAh capacity is practically nothing. I think HH should have just stuck with shipping NiMH batteries with those cars and leaving in the decent Spektrum Tx/Rx combo of the DX2E and SR310.

Interesting enough they are recalling all of the speed controls from these LiPo equipped/brushed motor trucks. Sending out upgraded replacements asap.

I actually really like the tx/rx combo. Feels good in my hand and has very good range. I still miss the feel of my JR xs-3. Not high dollar but a darn nice radio.

Members online

No members online now.
Back