Performance increasing advice for my AMP's stock parts?

Are there any tricks I can do to gain better performance out of my Amp's stock parts? I will be upgrading REAL slow over time. But for now want to know if and how I can milk all I can out of my Amp before spending hard earned dollars on upgrades. Thanks!

Will do!
Also @WoodiE, are there any threads on here that discuss how to make adjustments to things like gearing? Cause I haven't found any instructions for the technical tinkering (yet) and I am not about to go unbolt my entire truck without first finding some guidance.

Reason I ask is because the instructions that came with my Amp (if you can call them that) were, well, leaving much to be desired. I read them cover to cover and did not find anything relative to get-to-know my truck, other than basic information. There was definitely no blown up parts photos or info related to dismantling the rig.

Help from you ECX veterans is always well appreciated!

First performance tip: proper maintenance. Take care of your car, keep it clean! Really, all you need is a toothbrush! I know all the marketing materials promote the AMP as being "waterproof" and show it splashing through mud but driving in those conditions will wear the components out very quickly-- especially components that pivot or move against one another like swingarms, steering assemblies, steering/spindle carriers, etc. The bearings are "shielded" which means that the ball bearings are shielded by a metal cover but they are NOT sealed in any way and are vulnerable to water and dust. If you DO hit the water, blast the bearings with WD-40 after a wet run and then drip in some Tri-Flow (or similar).

Second: larger pinion gear. Try a 20T. I believe the AMP ships with an 18T? This will give you a little speed boost that costs less than US$5.00. However, this will also make your motor work harder and run hotter so pay attention to drive times and motor temps. (If you don't have an IR temp reader, touch your finger to the side of the motor-- if you can't stand to hold your finger there for 5 seconds then the motor is too hot! Also: be careful not to burn yourself! :)

Third: LiPo battery and low-voltage alarm. A LiPo will provide a definite performance boost in speed and "punch" over the stock NiMh and also provide for longer run times. Get a LiPo with a minimum capacity of 4000mAh. If/when you switch to a LiPo, and you haven't changed out the motor, make sure you return the motor to the stock gearing. The longer run time provided by LiPo will make it easier to fry the motor!

But above all else, keep it clean. Once parts start to wear, the car won't drive the same way and its performance will suffer.

I_reed is right, keep clean and cool. You can put bigger rear wheel on also which well give you more speed and do wheelies if your in to that. My first rc was an AMP and to this day it's one of my favorites out of my 24 that I have. Its all hopped up with super cooling 3 fans, 7000mAh 3S Lipo battery, lights front and rear, brushless motor, Hi-tech servo, all hardened steel gearing and CV'S, big tires in the back and .99 cent drawer handles on the top and bed backed with aluminum strips to protect the body when and if It flips, also a wheelie bar.
The AMP is somewhat challenging to modify as the chassis is quite small, not to much room to put things. You have to use your imagination and mechanical skills to mount a wheelie bar as there is no rear bumper. You have to remember the AMP is an rc vehicle for a rookie to learn on (how to drive, stop, steer, jump, ect.) but a good trainer rc vehicle. Its great truck, and yes it has it's draw-backs, but those can be modified. One problem that I found and corrected was the front hub carries, the shoulder screws kept coming out while racing due too all the turning. After losing so many shoulder screws I put a drop of super glue in the holes and insert the screws, problem solved. I do a lot of experimenting with my RC vehicles to make them faster, run cooler, ect. I also do a lot of body-lifts.
So as stated above, the AMP is a great truck to start out with, but look out, once upgraded ZOOM, ZOOM!!
1522907299295953776681.jpg 15229073428931772980427.jpg 1522907384751937655133.jpg 15229074243871920777282.jpg 20180318_124136.jpg

First thing I'd get is a Hi-Torque servo with metal gears. $40 hi tec or other and it will be a different truck. Not that the Amp's servo is weak--this upgrade is good for any truck that doesn't come with a hi torque = most trucks.

The higher gear ratio mentioned above will give a higher top speed but for off-road, acceleration, small space bashing, climbing & etc I'd keep stock gearing and it'll also run cooler. Check your gear mesh. I thought it came with a manual but I get the kits and build them and they definitely come with a manual. Yes, look online at Horizon and you tube has lots of Amp stuff.

Before installing the brushless combo from castle i ran a 2s 20c 4000mah battery on stock everything and it woke up the amp abit!!

I_reed is right, keep clean and cool. You can put bigger rear wheel on also which well give you more speed and do wheelies if your in to that. My first rc was an AMP and to this day it's one of my favorites out of my 24 that I have. Its all hopped up with super cooling 3 fans, 7000mAh 3S Lipo battery, lights front and rear, brushless motor, Hi-tech servo, all hardened steel gearing and CV'S, big tires in the back and .99 cent drawer handles on the top and bed backed with aluminum strips to protect the body when and if It flips, also a wheelie bar.
The AMP is somewhat challenging to modify as the chassis is quite small, not to much room to put things. You have to use your imagination and mechanical skills to mount a wheelie bar as there is no rear bumper. You have to remember the AMP is an rc vehicle for a rookie to learn on (how to drive, stop, steer, jump, ect.) but a good trainer rc vehicle. Its great truck, and yes it has it's draw-backs, but those can be modified. One problem that I found and corrected was the front hub carries, the shoulder screws kept coming out while racing due too all the turning. After losing so many shoulder screws I put a drop of super glue in the holes and insert the screws, problem solved. I do a lot of experimenting with my RC vehicles to make them faster, run cooler, ect. I also do a lot of body-lifts.
So as stated above, the AMP is a great truck to start out with, but look out, once upgraded ZOOM, ZOOM!!
View attachment 3227 View attachment 3228 View attachment 3229 View attachment 3230 View attachment 3231

Did your esc come with the cooling fan? I think I can buy one that clips on the my sidewinder.

Did your esc come with the cooling fan? I think I can buy one that clips on the my sidewinder.
I have yet to find any sort of cooling fan on my Amp. So it most likely isn't there. Though so far even with my 7 cell 5000 mAh battery pack, it wakes the truck up a good bit and I get ≈55-60 min runtimes on it and it doesn't get things too hot. A fan might be worth considering though.

Latest posts

Members online

Back