Pin that connects the drive shaft to the motor sheared into two

Oldgameguy

I have a ECX Circuit 2WD with a brushless motor upgrade and upgraded motor shafts. I'm trying to diagnose a problem and I need to remove the drive shafts. The pin that connects the drive shaft to the motor is sheared in two. I attached a photo of the tiny hex head on my white table. Most of the pin is still stuck in the part that attaches to the motor. The other photo has a white circle in the middle to indicate where the pin goes.

So does anyone have any advice how I can get the remains of the pin out of the hole? I tried drilling it out and that didn't work.

Scott

IMG_20180216_222217253.jpg
shearedPin.png

Sometimes you can get a reverse cut drill bit and try going really slow to get it to "grab" the broken piece and back it out. It doesn't always work, but it's something to try.

Gameguy, I'm a retired machinist and that pin you are trying to drill out is a hard pin, harder then the drill. What you need to do is turn the shaft so you can see the other side, you will see the smaller hole untapped (No threads) in the shaft. You will need to get or make a drift punch that will fit into that hole and knock that pin out. Sometimes a nail with a flat point will work or, if you have any extra shaft pins put your Allen wench on it and tap it out. Give it a try and let me know the outcome.

Hey that worked. I took the engine and gears out and then put the metal drive shaft into a vice. I drove the pin out with a hammer and screwdriver. I'm back in business.
Thanks again,
Scott

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back