Pro tip?

WithinU

Ok, Pro Tip, make sure you actually have the correct metric allen wrenches, before you tear your Torment apart.
I ended up at 3 wrench getting places, and well, if you like the short stubby L shaped allen wrenches you were in good luck, for me, not so much.

Any preferences on a good RC allen wrench set, either the solid handled ones, or socket style for a cordless palm screwdriver?

BTW: My son and I were bashing the Torments in the driveway, it was a bit damp, shoe sized puddles every so often. now his Torment doesn't move...….YAY! :cautious:

Just so everyone knows....LOL
I purchased the set of Bondhus Metric ball hex drivers, and a set of Bondhus Standard ball hex drivers.
Both a lot cheaper than Amazon or Home depot.

metric.jpgstandard.jpg

I also ordered some Team Associated 40 & 50 Wt shock oil.

I invested in all MIP hand hex drivers and driver bits for the electric screwdriver. If you're going to stay in this Hobby, it's worth it to invest in good tools. Buy nice or cry twice I always say.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-thorp-metric-hex-driver-wrench-set-3-1.5-2.0-2.5mm-mip9502/p261254

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mip-sp...ip-set-metric-3-1.5-2.0-2.5mm-mip9512/p261256

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...driver-set-5.0-5.5-7.0-8.0mm-ptk-8282/p752699

Just so everyone knows....LOL
I purchased the set of Bondhus Metric ball hex drivers, and a set of Bondhus Standard ball hex drivers.
Both a lot cheaper than Amazon or Home depot.

View attachment 4668View attachment 4669

I also ordered some Team Associated 40 & 50 Wt shock oil.
I tried the bondhus drivers and returned them because I stripped a few screws. That's when I invested in the MIP. Be careful.

Thanks for the advice @MaX-D, I greatly appreciate it.
Yeah this may not be the final toolage. I did have some metric allen wrenches from my RC10 days, but for the life of me I can't find them.
This is just to get things going a bit, I still have the Son's Torment tore apart. :rolleyes:

Well I got the new ball allen wrenches last Friday.
I thought yippee!!! now I can finish the upgrade and get the truck off the dining room table.....LOL
Upon reviewing the wrenches, I was pleased at the construction, set looked good, I was also pleased with the price point, and they worked beautifully. Got my sons truck done and also performed another upgrade to it, and the wrenches came in handy for it too.
I do have a gripe about them though. Maybe not what others would gripe about but I almost have too. On the small ones in the set, they actually made the handles smaller too, so small in fact, my bear paws had a difficult time grabbing the handles and using force to screw the fine thread screws in that came with the upgrade captured ball links. It probably would have been easier to use a long L shaped allen wrench.
I don't think my hands are all that big, but bigger than average, I can only imagine how much trouble a true grizzly bear hands person would have. I also felt as if I was going to twist the handles off, but luckily I didn't.
20190203_174115.jpg20190203_171738.jpg20190203_171748.jpg

Sorry, but I had to laugh at that first picture. I wish I saw this thread earlier and warn you of the size. And those 4, and 5mm drivers... you'll probably never use them. The "ball" shape hex drivers do not have enough surface area for gripping socket head screws securely IMO. Ask me how I know :whistle:.

Just to carry on with the conversation. I did manage to get the links swapped out, I haven't had a chance to fine tune them yet, but I think I am very close already.
I did purchase an upgrade for my torment, but when my sons quit moving forward, I suspected either the brushed motor or the ESC was trashed. Most likely caused by very small puddle runs, and when I say small they were puddles the size of a shoe, we are not talking 6" deep mud puddles. Although we had a blast that day, it did quit after 3 pack run throughs. but I digress, I originally purchased a brushless upgrade for my truck just to test things out. I ended up installing it into my sons torment, GoolRc 3650 4300Kv.
now, I might of been expecting more difference from this upgrade. But I was a bit let down by the speed and torque, maybe it's GoolRc at it's best? I don't know. It does work, and works comparably to the brushed set up that was in it previously. I don't know, I expected more.....
but anyhoo, as you can see in the second picture above, the ESC's receiver lead is at it's limit. Is there an easy way to extend the lead? I guess I am assuming I will have to extend the lead by splicing in extra wire? I need probably 2, 3, 4" more inches, so I can neatly tuck them out of the way.

Have you tried 3s on the new electronics yet? You also may need to play with your gearing a bit.

Many different manufacturers make extension in many different sizes. Perhaps something like THIS would work for you? If you think 6 inches is too long, they have a 3 inch version too.

Hey thanks X. Now, I was being lazy and did not bother to look for extensions. I think the 3" would work great. But I may opt for the 6" one to make sure.

No, I havn't tried 3s in it, I don't have any Li-po's. Don't get me wrong, the system works fine, the speed and torque are comparable to the brushed set up, and if I am being honest it may be just a tad faster on top end. But NOTHING like what I was expecting.

Stupid question, you sure there's not something wrong, like forward and reverse are swapped? I have a couple goolrc set ups, and even on nihm batteries it blows away the brushed set up. I did have to swap 2 of the motor leads to make it drive right.

Hmmmm interesting @Steve g , I never thought of that, I connected blue to blue, yellow to yellow, and red to red, I think it was red, maybe orange?
I will check it tonight and let you know. Now I do have to say, that it has been freezing rain the past few days, so more test and tunes have not happened. The day I got the new electronics in I did a few test runs to make sure it all worked ok. I have not programmed anything, and yes I did purchased a program card for the ESC. So, that's a thing too.

I am not sure exactly how much more I should expect, but I did expect more than what I got. I mean I didn't expect wheelies, although that would have been awesome!!! BABY STEPS!!!! Funny I almost can't wait for the wheelie bar installation.... :sneaky:

Stupid question, you sure there's not something wrong, like forward and reverse are swapped? I have a couple goolrc set ups, and even on nihm batteries it blows away the brushed set up. I did have to swap 2 of the motor leads to make it drive right.
I had three of the same RTR truggies that came from the factory setup like that. Really had me scratching my head the first time I threw the RC into reverse. You would think the quality assurance team would not let a product go out the door like that :ROFLMAO:.

Even though the ESC wire colors match up with the motor's, it also depends which way the motor is oriented on the chassis.

Ok got the extension wires for the receiver. Yes I got them last week, but been busy. You know how that goes.
I am glad I ordered the 6" extensions, I could have made 4" work, but knowing my luck I would have needed the 6" if I ordered the 4".
Anyhoo, found a good deal on Futaba like ones on the ebayz, $7 for 5pcs of 6" extensions.
6" server extensions 5pcs for $2.50 + shipping

Got his car put back together, although it was only the server cover and dust shield over the pinion and spur gears.
I did get the program card out and programmed it to what I think I wanted.
Ran it, seemed about the same although I could tell the forward to reverse was much quicker. Due to a set point on the program card.
I then took and swapped wires from the motor to the ESC, didn't seem to change much. Of course the cars forward and reverse were switched, so I flicked the Throttle switch, switch, on the controller and it seemed about the same to me.
Now I am wondering, I set reverse to %50, when I programmed it. Should I go back and swap the wires again, and then reprogram the ESC to %100 reverse and see if that changes anything, or do you think that would perform any different?

Well how's the top speed comparison for forward vs reverse when reverse is set at 50%? And if it was set up wrong, you would have brakes when you go from reverse to forward, and it would go into reverse instantly when you hit the brakes while going forward.
So I'm gonna assume that's not the issue, and would guess it could be your battery. What kind are you using, and how old is it? It might no longer have the same punch it used to if it's getting old. Brushless systems need more amps when you first pull the trigger. Could be getting voltage sag when you accelerate.
Check your slipper clutch too. Maybe it's too loose?
And you set the voltage cut off to 0 on the program card right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back