Problem with brand new AMP

Red13

Hello everyone. I just bought a new AMP and joined this forum today. I bought it so my nephew (7 years old) can drive it when I take him to the park so we can both drive our cars. After about five minutes of using the truck, the power almost died. I thought it was the battery, running a NIMH 3200 MAH so I put in a new battery but it was still the same problem. The steering would barely turn and the wheels moved very slowly. Any idea what it could be? I am thinking the ESC. I am new to RC so still learning. If it is the ESC I think I might as well change out all the electronics and go brushless, but that might be to fast for my nephew.

Also am interested in getting a metal gear servo. Any recommendations on any that are direct fit or don't require any or much modifications. I bought the RPM but have not installed it yet. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Check and set your gear mesh properly. When you disengage the pinion gear check that the drivetrain moves freely. Recalibrate your ESC.

It’s new, so if something is wrong take it to the shop where you bought it and have them sort it out.

Red13, I would go with the Savox servo that's what in my Amp. Also would recommend replacing the servo saver. I just changed mine out with the Hot Racing ECT 4806 all ball bearing servo saver. Both improves the steering 100%. Also no more wheel wobble while in reverse.

Attachments

• 20201110_201014.jpg
    20201110_201014.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201110_200044.jpg
    20201110_200044.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 6
  • ECT4806_grande.jpg
    ECT4806_grande.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6
Savoy are expensive. I have great results with a $15 KS-3518 from Banggood. Fast, metal grates, 18kg, and cheap as chips.

I paid $60 new for the Savox Digital SA-1256 servo on eBay. Have seen them as high as $80. It's a great servo and has Titanium gearing and 20 kg. The steering is so positive its phenomenal.

Thanks all. I think I’ll go with the savox. Servos are the one thing I don’t like to cheap out on. I think a good servo makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
Red, if you can change out the servo saver as well. It will stop the front wheel wobble in reverse. I will say its a job changing it out but its well worth the time and effort. The Savox Sa-1256 will turn some pretty big tires at 20gs.

Red, if you can change out the servo saver as well. It will stop the front wheel wobble in reverse. I will say its a job changing it out but its well worth the time and effort. The Savox Sa-1256 will turn some pretty big tires at 20gs.
I got the RPM servo saver eliminator but have not installed it yet. Will that work fine or is there a better option?

I'm not familiar with that one. I do know it plastic/nylon. RPM makes good stuff so just try and see if it stops the front wheel wobble. I prefer the Hot Racing servo saver as it's aluminum and operates on four bearings. I sent you a picture of that servo saver. If the RPM doesn't work then try the Hot Racing servo saver.

I’ll try the hot racing one it looks cool also. Thanks.

I have that installed and it works well. Check how much play you have in the steering with the wheels and tires on. I am changing to Traxxas turnbuckles today - 6 of them, so I may have to report again after those are installed. I put a sealed bearing kit in it and aluminum wheel hexes to go with bigger wheels and tires so I’m pretty far from stock these days.

Saw a new Amp Crush at the LHS the other day, great looking truck. I may have to try those wheels and tires, that should stress the steering.
I got the RPM servo saver eliminator but have not installed it yet. Will that work fine or is there a better option

Members online

Back