project frankenstien

Messages
21
Likes
7
started out as a free roller with no body I got from a local rc fb page member.... he also threw in a stock motor..... brought it home, cleaned and lubed it.......installed a hobbywing quicrun 1060 I had from another rc that was unfixible and a goolrc radio from the same rc......ran it without a body and gear cover for a bit... also had a set of bald traxxas wheels and tires....I buy and sell on ebay alot and use money from selling broken toy grade rc's to get what I need for my rc's.... found a well used ruckus body for $1, a gear cover for $3.99 and some redcat 2.8 volcano wheels with tires for $25.....that's why I call it frankenstien.... a piece from here , a piece from there...lol.....not sure what else I am gonna do at the moment except replace what breaks
 

Attachments

Messages
21
Likes
7
found my first issue to address..... those dreaded shoulder screws that screw into the spindles, lost one this morning......used some brass tubing and some self tapping screws instead of the shoulder screws....had the same issue with a redcat volcano I had and it seemed to work..... also gonna do the screw and locknut mod on my upper links on the front and rear suspension.....doing some research on common problems with 2wd ecx trucks
 

Real_sparky

Well-Known Member
Messages
127
Likes
30
Location
Australia
Shoulder screw backing out is a really common problem. We have now upgraded all four cars to the hot racing steering knuckles, which solve the issue also. Apparently the Aluminum castor blocks solve the issue as well.
The castors flex when you hit something pulling the screws from the knuckles is my understanding of it.
Let us know how the self tapping screws go. If it works it will be a cheaper fix :)
 
Messages
21
Likes
7
didn't work......aluminum knuckles are next.....also gonna replace the sloppy worn out a arms as well
 
Messages
21
Likes
7
ordered up the shoulder screws, aluminum steering blocks , also got some new front and rear a arms.......I am also changing the upper link screws to standard screws with a locknut on the back side
 
Messages
21
Likes
7
while waiting for parts I double checked everything.... parts arrived yesterday

got it mostly together last night.... when I first put it together , I improvised and used what I could find in my stash for motor screws.... so I hit my local hardware store and got some better ones.....got it all together today, charged a battery and took it for a run.... so far so good..... next is some aluminum hexes and maybe a different bumper
 

Attachments

Messages
21
Likes
7
looks like frankenstein needs a new motor.....went off a small jump ant it rolled to a stop..... thought my hobbywing 1060 bit the dust, so I swapped it out with one from another of my rc's... same thing....wiggled the motor leads and it worked for a second.... think its a bad connection in the motor.... ordered another stock motor and a set of aluminum wheel hexes
 
Messages
21
Likes
7
new motor and aluminum hexes arrived yesterday.... got it all back together and a new deans connector installed on the new motor.....put in a fresh battery.....the hobbywing esc was being wonky, so I swapped it out with an arrma brushed esc from one of my other rc's.... runs great now.... however on my 1st run I had a rollover and broke the body and broke my goolrc controller while making a turn.... guess I dont know my own strength...lol.... swapped out the radio with a flysky radio from the same rc I took the esc out of......looking for another used body, but might have to resort to buying a new body
 

Attachments

Messages
21
Likes
7
did some revisions and repair on the body..... cut the nose off a newbright baja trophy truck and attached it with screws... also put on a rear wing from a maisto baja beast......then I did a bunch of work with shoo-goo and drywall tape.... body should last awhile now
 

Attachments

Top