Project Ruckus

wizardwerx8

20160929_104339_zpsmvwm3oa8.jpgHi, I purchased a 1/10 brushed 4wd ruckus a couple of weeks ago. Now I want to upgrade my ruckus. Its only going to be a basher. Plans are to upgrade most everything on the truck. So far I have picked up a onyx 25c 4000ma lipo battery. And a venom ac sport balance charger. My next upgrade will be a better steering servo. Any suggestions are always welcome as I am new to ecx and rc.

Upgrades/Additions
2s 4000mah lipo
venom ac sport charger
jst 20cm extensions
lipo fire bag

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice overhaul on the Ruckus. I've been wanting to pick one up myself but can't decided if I want 2wd or 4wd.

I picked up this steering servo for mine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...rds=1501mg&dpPl=1&dpID=51q2vwBBHHL&ref=plSrch

Hopefully that link works. It's 1501mg. It's metal and heavy. As I said i was gonna put it on my ruckus but I ended up purchasing an axial rr10 bomber kit so I'm gonna use the servo on that.
Why do you need to upgrade the steering servo? I wanted to because the turning radius on pavement at full speed sucks, but it turns great on gravel/dirt

Sounds like a nice overhaul on the Ruckus. I've been wanting to pick one up myself but can't decided if I want 2wd or 4wd.
Gotta go 4wd. Even the 4wd on dirt can be tough to control with the brushed engine lol. You can always pick up a 40 dollar brushless motor/ESC on Amazon. Goolrc makes it.

I picked up this steering servo for mine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...rds=1501mg&dpPl=1&dpID=51q2vwBBHHL&ref=plSrch

Hopefully that link works. It's 1501mg. It's metal and heavy. As I said i was gonna put it on my ruckus but I ended up purchasing an axial rr10 bomber kit so I'm gonna use the servo on that.
Why do you need to upgrade the steering servo? I wanted to because the turning radius on pavement at full speed sucks, but it turns great on gravel/dirt

Thanks for the link. Do you know if its waterproof? The steering on my truck is terrible. Ive tried the zip tie mod on the servo saver. Which was a temporary fix. Now i have super glued the saver, and made it completely solid. While waiting for a aluminum horn to arrive. Still wont turn. Tried setting the end points. But i cant get my Tx into learn mode.

Thanks for the link. Do you know if its waterproof? The steering on my truck is terrible. Ive tried the zip tie mod on the servo saver. Which was a temporary fix. Now i have super glued the saver, and made it completely solid. While waiting for a aluminum horn to arrive. Still wont turn. Tried setting the end points. But i cant get my Tx into learn mode.
I do believe it's waterproof.

So you're truck won't turn are all? If you take the servo horn off so there's nothing connected to the servo and turn it with the remote, does the servo turn?

And you can't get your transmitter into calibration mode? Try baking horizon hobby support. They'll straighten you out with that
Correct. Transmitter will not go into calibration mode. Im starting to think that my steering issue is transmitter related. last night at work the truck wouldnt turn left at all. didn't matter if it was off the ground or on. So i switch the steering to reverse and same thing no left turn. But when i switched back to normal steering the truck started functioning correctly.

Turns out that I wasnt using the right procedure to get my transmitter into calibration mode. So now my transmitter is calibrated. Truck drives like it should now. I love this truck. I killed both bumpers last night.

Turns out that I wasnt using the right procedure to get my transmitter into calibration mode. So now my transmitter is calibrated. Truck drives like it should now. I love this truck. I killed both bumpers last night.
Awesome. Glad you got it working

received_1474719485878317_zpsjmh9ivpe.jpg
I took the truck a part today for a deep clean. While i was at it i decided to check the diffs. Good thing i did. I found a small piece of the front skid plate in the front diff housing. The diff housings being partially sealed by the main chassis and skid plates are a design flaw. I will probably use a small amount of silicone or some other sealant to help prevent this in the future. Ill post pictures when I reassemble the truck.

Last edited:
20161025_135226_zpsjn6ypsy5.jpg

Ordered few new parts. This is whats come in today. hr metal spur gear, ecx foam block, and a dynamite stainless screw kit. Also have a dynamite pinion set, tbone front bumper, motor heatsink w/fan, and a led headlight/tailght kit coming this week.

20161024_143012_zpsbmnxd4ge.jpg

I broke the jst on my lipo hints the foam block. so bought 2 20cm 2s lipo extensions. I replaced the broken plug from 1 extension. Then took the left overs and made 1 long extension.

Killed the motor last night on my lunch break. I was using a gps to see how fast it was stock on nickel and lipo batteries. And the motor just quit. Pulled it out today. And when i took the motor plate off copper looking pieces fell out. So I guess its time to go brushless.

20161030_174933_zpsjey7jots.jpg
New workbench. I saved this old harbor freight display table from the trash man. It still needs a another coat of paint. Also going to put a shelf on the back side of the table top. Its 48 inches square.
20161101_122212_zpsbx1gthwi.jpg
I got these in the mail today. Should help out my night time fun. Still trying to decide on which brushless combo to go with.

20161105_111230_zpsyi2aoqtu.jpg
Picked up a new motor yesterday at my lhs. Its not what i wanted. But it was what they had. I believe its a 540 motor. Still a 15t.
20161105_110711_zpspiyk0pd2.jpg
Tbone basher front bumper.

Well new motor lasted 5 minutes before this happened.....
20161106_114707_zpssow9hx4v.jpg
I did the water break in. Slow speed for 20 min. The odd thing is the motor case never got to hot to touch. Im going shelf it until i can get a brushless combo. I also installed the t bone bumper. And it is amazing.

Last edited:
aa9c37e1-61db-4329-b49a-7c68ba659e49_zpsyfo2imy7.jpg
Refurbished this old harbor freight display table. Its 48" square x 40" tall. I added a 2' tall piece of pegboard. With a 1' deep top self to store my rc stuff. Now I got to get some peg hooks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back