Prophet sport lipo

mattyd4201taim

Can someone shed some light on why my lipo charger can't detect my battery to charge?

Unfortunately there's not enough information to make a guess. Could be anything-- defective charger, defective battery. Do you have another charger you can use?

When you plug in the charger to the wall outlet, do you see status lights? What battery are you using (brand, voltage, capacity (Amps/MAh))? Are the connectors tight? Are any cords damaged or kinked?

If the charger is relatively new, I'd recommend contacting Horizon Hobby support.

It's the prophet sport lipo charger by dynamite and the pack is dynamite reaction gray in color 4000 mah 20c. The lights indicate that the battery can't be detected and won't charge. It's the only battery i have and haven't used my amp in some time and Im assuming maybe it's got a dead cell? ??

Awesome, more cowbell, right. Just off the top, I am guessing bad cell.
Just for the fact you said you haven't used it in some time.
Now while I am reading the manual for the charger, it says it defaults to Li-Fe setup, I assume you are doing it correctly, are you setting the parameters on the charger before you hook it up? Setting it for Li-Po's not Li-Fe's, and the correct cell count?
Now it does also state that it will remember the last charge setting, but if it's been a while since it has been used, make sure it hasn't returned to default.

Easy answer, without purchasing a new pack or charger, you could get a cheap cell voltage monitor and check the individual cell voltage.

Prophet charger.png

I have read articles and watched some YouTube videos about "reviving" problematic MiMH and NiCad's, a few on Li-Po's, but I can't honestly say it'll work for you. I did manage to bring a NiMH pack (which is way different than Li-Po's) back to somewhat of a life, no where near being what it once was. The time and cycles it took to do so, was crazy.

The first problem is getting your charger to actually do something with the pack.
I would vote against it just for the fact it is a Li-Po pack. I would invest in a new pack.
I would invest in a cell voltage checker, just to know for sure if it is a bad cell, not sure I would want the pack laying around in my house or garage, in that condition.

If a cell of a battery is way out of whack say one cell 3.7v and another is 3.2v the cell in the pack is probably on it's way out. First step is to find the voltage of the cells. Cheapest way is what @WithinU suggested a lipo (checker) alarm. You can do it with a multi-meter if you have one. I use a Tenergy Cell meter to check cells and check internal resistance of my lipos (does other things also). If a cell is under 3.0v you charger may not charge the pack because the cell voltage is too low. I would recommend getting a charger that has a display screen like a Imax B6 the display will give you an indication of why something is not being able to be charged. One button chargers are simple and convenient but with a little knowledge of battery charging better to set the charging up yourself.

As far as revving a dead cell the first thing you need to do is find out what cell it is that's under voltage. If the cell is say 2.8v and the other is 3.0v you can set the the charger to nimh and charge it till the cell goes just above 3.0v but you must watch the pack while doing this once the cells are at at least 3.0v then do a balance charge because the under volt cell will still be lower than the other cell (on a 2s lipo).

There are other more advanced ways of reviving a not totally dead cell but would not recommend doing any those (although I have).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back