Recommend a decent steering servo for Boost?

i_r_beej

Sorry for all the questions on the forum, but here's another:

Last time I was at the track, I felt like e steering on my Boost was a little slow. Didn't really cause any problems, but it just "felt" sluggish. I've done some searching on the web, other forums, etc but there are lots of options.

Can anyone recommend a decent servo? Maybe something with a metal gear train.

Thanks in advance for any info!

@i_r_beej I haven't tried this upgrade myself, but I hear using an Associated T4 servo saver really makes a difference. Another possible solution would be to get the RPM Servo-Saver Eliminator Bellcrank which cleans up the slop as well.

As for a servo upgrade, I would recommend a Savox SW-0231MG which is waterproof, all metal gears and provides a nice bit of torque. Another cheap alternative would be a MG996R servo, I've not tried them myself but have seen a few others recommend them. Might be worth the gamble for as cheap as they are.

Holy cats! That MG996R is CHEAP!! I Googled around a bit and reviews are mixed. The Savox looks good and the price is about the upper end of what I'd want to pay.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Savox are awesome servo's @i_r_beej, and recommended by many. The MG996R is certainly cheap, I haven't used them but will probably buy one or two just to give them a go. What's $5, right?

Anyone know if the metal gears from my burnt out Hitec (hs645mg) servo will fit in the stock servo from the amp buggy? Or will it be a waste of my time to even try?

traxxas servos are good and easy to rebuild, I'm old school, i also like for 10.00 more the hitec Ultra-Torque Servo HS-645MG

Well... I looked at all the suggested servos and was ready to buy a Savöx 1258TG when I saw a video created by Bill DeLong over at RC Groups. It was a side-by-side test of the Savöv 1258 and its "clone," the Turnigy 1258TG. The Turnigy servo matched or beat the Savöx in in specs and in tests at about half the cost. The Turnigy model also appeared to be more efficient under load, running significantly cooler than the Savöx. So I decided to purchase the Turnigy 1258TG. I'll post initial impressions once I get a chance to run the car.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

I'm sorry you had to remind me to share the video. As one that tends to ask for proof, I should have thought to include the video in my last post. :)

Ok so I tried the mg996r and total fail on this end. It wont center every time which I actually put up with (just a basher) then it got really slow turning to the right but normal left. Then it just locked up.

Being in a bind (we just built a monster jam course.) I ran home and got the stock spektrum s607 and swapped the metal gears from the mg996r over all except the on that makes direct contact with the motor fit. It's still weak and slow but I was able to do some bashing.

20160403_215429.jpg 20160403_215429.jpg

Cool! When it's time to go shopping for a new servo, I'd highly recommend the Turnigy 1258TG. US$36 for a servo that meets or beats the Savox 1258TG by any measure.

I've been bashing and running practice laps at the indoor track (with plenty of spectacular crashes) and it's still performing great.

Hahaha, thank you. The reviews were positive on this one I searched a few hundred. Lol. The wifey has me on a strict rc budget and I wasn't about to spend money on another mg996r POS

Yikes I just put down nearly 4 of my hard earned euros for an mg996r... Let's hope mine is better than yours.

Lmao, man that sucker could probably lift a small child off the ground. But out of nowhere it got about 250 degrees and fries itself. And I was just running back and forth in the backyard. But if you got a good one than that would be awesome

I ended up getting the tactic tsx40mg and that puppy has been solid so far. It's not nearly as strong, but more than strong enough for my 2wd and much faster. And it comes with a no bs warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Back