Recommended ECX AMP Upgrades

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
ECX RC has done a great job with the ECX AMP MT / DB (monster truck / desert buggy) RC's. The ECX AMP RC's are a great fit for someone looking to get into the radio control hobby or looking for a backyard basher. While the ECX AMP is fun right out of the box (or freshly built if you bought the kit version) there are a few things that can be done to further improve the ECX AMP!

Required items for a new ECX AMP

4x AA Batteries - For the included transmitter. My recommendation would be to get a pack of Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

That's it, just a set of AA batteries will allow you to pull the ECX AMP from the box and start using it right away. That said if you're new to the hobby then I would certainly recommend taking a look at our Tools to get started in R/C thread to see what tools are going to be very handy for you.

Recommended Upgrades for the ECX AMP

Batteries - The ECX AMP comes with a 1800mAh NiMH battery which will work fine getting started but if you really want to awaken the ECX AMP add a LiPo battery. Doing so will not only give you longer run times but really add some power to the stock ECX AMP. This is probably the single least expensive and most noticeable upgrade you can do.

CAUTION: While ECX lists the ECX AMP's as being "LiPo Compatible" the ESC/Receiver combo included in the ECX AMP does NOT include a low voltage cutoff or alarm. If you run a LiPo on the stock electronics you risk frying your battery or causing more serious damage to your AMP or yourself.

If you run LiPo and stock electronics then I'm going to say you MUST buy an LiPo voltage alarm - this will monitor the voltage of the LiPo and scream like heck when it reaches a certain voltage, saving your AMP and LiPo battery from damage.​

Bearings - The bearings in the ECX AMP leave a bit to be desired, such as being sloppy and/or not very reliable. The easiest solution would be to pick up a FastEddyBearings ball bearing kit.

If you're building the kit version of the ECX AMP I would buy these bearings at the same time and save yourself the work of going back and replacing the stock bearings.

Servo - The stock steering servo seems a bit under powered, to remedy simply upgrade the servo to something like the Power HD 1501MG, MG996R, or Hitec HS5645MG.

Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) - I have never been a fan the of the ESC/Receiver combo units in any RC. Mostly for the sole reason that when you do want to upgrade you can't just upgrade a ESC or receiver, being a combo you have to replace both which ultimatly ends up costing you more. In addition if you have an issue with one part of the combo then the entire unit it useless to you.

If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade then check out Hobbywing, the Dynamite Tazer ESC / Brushless motor combo also makes a nice upgrade.

Of course going this route means you'll need a new radio setup as well...

These upgrades are a great starting point for any basher or someone getting started into the RC hobby scene, but certainly not a complete list. If you have other suggested upgrades for the ECX AMP please share with us!

I heard from Horizon support that you can use the 13003 receiver if you want to change out the ESC, so you don't actually need to upgrade the radio. The radio is tiny, but otherwise very good in my experience. It has dual rate for the throttle, which is awesome if you have a kid and want to quickly dial back the power before you hand over the remote. I know my son digs it.

The 13003 receiver is $16 though, sadly. It would be nice if it were a $5 part like the Flysky RX.

Hobby King has some decent Tx/Rx combos for $50 or less. I just ordered the TrackStar TS4G for mine as well as the Turnigy 1258TG. My LHS has a Kinexis 4000Kv on the way as well...

We shall see how the AMP DB holds up.

So far best upgraded and most effective I've done is I upgraded battery to 8.4v, change motor to 15t and changed gear to 20 thooth and Damm!!! Huge difference twice as fast if not tripled. Next upgrade would like to try lipo battery but not sure if it will be to much.

So far best upgraded and most effective I've done is I upgraded battery to 8.4v, change motor to 15t and changed gear to 20 thooth and Damm!!! Huge difference twice as fast if not tripled. Next upgrade would like to try LiPo battery but not sure if it will be to much.

Have you upgraded the wax of anything else beside what you said?

so nothing running hot like your ecs how long do u drive it at a time been thinking of getting a 15t cause i burnt the 20t up

Motor was getting hot but not extreme, The esc just went out but not sure if it was a faulty esc or because of upgrades so I'm replacing it with new stock one. I was getting around 12 min on 1800 ma, I wasent able to get full run of my new 3000ma.
I'm hoping it was faulty esc and not 8.4v battery, I've seen YouTube video and he ran a lipo battery with stock esc.

Motor was getting hot but not extreme, The ESC just went out but not sure if it was a faulty ESC or because of upgrades so I'm replacing it with new stock one. I was getting around 12 min on 1800 ma, I wasent able to get full run of my new 3000ma.
I'm hoping it was faulty ESC and not 8.4v battery, I've seen YouTube video and he ran a LiPo battery with stock ESC.
i dont think its the battery i been running 8.4v for 2 weeks driving a few hours of the day might be the motor

I have a Titan 12 turn on my amp but I want to switch to a lipo what size should I go

The battery I use most is a 3800mAh, but I'm running the stock motor. I also have a 5000mAh but it doesn't fit under the plastic battery lid so I don't use it as often (needs a battery strap). Note that lipos are typically around 2/3 of the weight of a NiMH for the same capacity, so if you are happy with the weight distribution of your truck that's also a consideration. You have that Titan hanging off the back, I don't know how heavy that one is.

On the amp MT, I'm running a tazer twin motor/ESC combo, with a spectrum transmitter and receiver, and an 8.4v 7cell 3300 mAh battery. I have been wondering what type of tires would be good to use.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back