Ruckus 1/10 Brushless Black/Red no power to wheels

jax7y

So this issue came up a few years ago and I haven't touched the truck since today. I'm trying to fix it back up again. It seems that the motor isn't putting power to the wheels, the axle is spinning but it barely goes anywhere, as seen in this video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LSuGZaDT9iSTXJxIgAi0ZT7oTOZKCbzZ/view?usp=sharing

It makes an odd whirring noise as well, I'm not sure if it's the motor, or the differential or something. I don't want to spend money on a new motor before pinpointing the part that's broken. Any help would be appreciated!

Have you taken off the rear wheels to see if either the hexes or wheels are stripped? Since the driveshafts are turning (with little or no movement of the truck) that seems like the likely answer.

Thanks for the response! I took off the rear wheels, and I think the hexes/wheels are okay, one of the hexes came off (stuck in the wheel) with the inside bit a little caved out, but I don't think that's the issue. If you see the recent video, the noise coming from the motor is very odd, pretty sure it never sounded like that (although it's been a while). It also feels like it isn't turning that fast, with the end of the video there is me pulling the trigger all the way down. I feel like it's a motor issue.

Folder for photos and videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AHz4nPJ3NFZzmV4n1upwi3gwvKRJ75mJ

Have you taken the gear cover off and looked at the gear teeth and slipper clutch? If the gear teeth for the spur and pinion look fine, check to make sure that the nut on the slipper is tightened all the way, then backed off a little. If it was too loose you likely need to replace your slipper pads.

upload_2018-8-21_7-45-18.png

Manual for your truck:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/ECX03002_Manual_EN.pdf

They look fine to me. I think I might have to purchase a replacement motor.

Attachments

• 15348713139939138084756972819053.jpg
    15348713139939138084756972819053.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 10
I'm not completely familiar with that setup, but it looks like that slipper might be loose. I'm used to the slipper spring being compressed more than that. The manual says to tighten completely and back out two turns. Is that what it is presently set to?

I'm with @X here, I can see the knuckles on the driveshaft spinning fast but the wheels do not move, so there is something between that knuckle and the tire that is disconnected with just a little resistance. That wheel hex is in poor shape on the inside but it should still grip, unless your wheels just aren't on and the pin is not inside the recess on the hex.

All I have to say is that motor will turn slower with an old NiMH battery (seeing the pictures and video). And depending on how much the vehicle was run in the water will affect the motor and if it were to damage the motor it probably would have fried it almost all of my motors make that noise. It’s annoying but not a huge problem unless the little silver part on the end of the motor in the center of the black part (which is a shaft that runs through the motor) is moving all over the place that would be a big problem.

All I’m saying is don’t waste money on the motor fix the drive train first either way instead of paying big $$ on an entire motor just get replacement bearings their like $6 US. They will fix the weird sandy gritty noise that comes from the motor while it’s spinning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! I tightened the screw on the slipper so the spring compressed, but the truck's wheels still aren't turning with the driveshaft. After reading these responses I will not buy a new motor. I think the issue is shown in the video "rear wheel loose" in that drive folder. My right rear wheel is really wobbly, and I think that might be why the driveshafts aren't turning the wheels. The left rear wheel wobbles a little but not nearly as bad. I will follow up to this after I take a look

What I think is happening is the driveshaft (the right one) seems to be really lose and isn't tight with the hole on the right (not sure what that's called) so it's spinning but doesn't lock into the wheels. I may be wrong but that's all I can see. I uploaded another video of me wobbling the driveshaft.

It’s possible the wheel bearings are bad they are located inside the hub on the right side. Being so wobbly the wheel may not have meshed with the drive hex properly or the hex not on the drive pin. Either of those reasons could be why the wheel doesn’t spin with the shaft.

I replaced both bearings and fixed the wobbling wheel issue. When the truck is suspended in the air, the motor goes up to speed (still with that grainy noise) and the wheels started to expand (as it usually should). However, as soon as I set the truck on the floor, the wheels stop turning and the driveshaft continues to spin. The hex seems firmly attached to the wheel and doesn't spin on it's own, and the pin seems to connect to it fine. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Swap your front wheels to the back and try again also show a picture of what your rear wheel hexes look like (the wheel not the hex). Drive shafts spinning and not moving the wheel means as already mentioned something not properly being fitted together between the drive shaft and wheel. The grainy noise can be a number of things worry about why your wheels are not spinning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back