Ruckus 4x4 Steering/Servo Issue

NotJoe

Hello,

Rookie here. Just picked up used 2wd Ruckus and 4x4 Ruckus:
- The 2wd steering behaves as I would expect
- The 4x4 it seems like the wheels don't really turn as far
- If the vehicle is stationary I can hear the servo moving but the wheels don't turn as far in either direction as my 2wd model.
- May be unrelated, but changed the batteries in the transmitter and it seemed to improve a bit. May be my imagination.
- When the vehicle is in motion, turning works, but not as "sharp" as the 2wd
- I've seen a video on youtube about putting a ziptie around the Servo Saver? Would that be of any benefit?
- Does the NiMH need to be replaced? Does that affect steering ability? I tried a couple different batteries. Didn't see much change.

Any help is appreciated. Do I need a new part or is it possible the 4x4 model just doesn't steer as well as the 2wd?

Just keep in mind the 4wd has extra bits and pieces in the steering, I haven't fiddled much with a 4wd before but I could see how a 4wd would not turn as far, lock to lock, as a 2wd. That is if you are comparing the two.
The lock to lock, may be fine on your 4wd, if you could it would help if you could post a picture of the 4wd at full lock one way or the other, and or both.

Just keep in mind the 4wd has extra bits and pieces in the steering, I haven't fiddled much with a 4wd before but I could see how a 4wd would not turn as far, lock to lock, as a 2wd. That is if you are comparing the two.
The lock to lock, may be fine on your 4wd, if you could it would help if you could post a picture of the 4wd at full lock one way or the other, and or both.
Thanks. Definitely will do that this evening.

Here are the photos I took. You can see in the 4wd pics on the right that the wheels just don't turn as far as the 2wd. Especially when you look at the outside wheel (the wheel furthest from the direction turned).right turn.jpgleft turn.jpg

This may be a dumb question but did you check the steering gain (the knob on the transmitter). There is a knob on each transmitter that can limit the steering input. On my Spektrum it is to the right of the steering wheel. If you turn that clockwise, it allows the car to turn sharper.
In one of my 2wd trucks, the steering servo died recently and its symptoms were that I wasn't able to turn right at all as sharply and i tried adjusting the horn and re calibrating the controller.

Good luck

Here are the photos I took. You can see in the 4wd pics on the right that the wheels just don't turn as far as the 2wd. Especially when you look at the outside wheel (the wheel furthest from the direction turned).View attachment 5086View attachment 5087
I feel your pain.
I through out my stock junk 9kg rated servo with partial saver all plastic hardly turn. Of course on light braking i could turn better because of differential.
My Torment 4x4 had a full ecx 4x4 alu servo saver with ball bearings....and new Weiss 20kg full metal digital servo with alu 25T horn.
Fast precise and i don't need full lock anyway. Not on 4S lol...

Not easy to find. Try horizonhobby.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back