Servo and battery upgrades for ecx temper 1/24

Pointy

Does anybody have a good idea what servo would work well with the 1/24 temper? The one on it in my opinion is too weak for what I'm doing and the servo itself doesn't look like it will last much longer. It looks like a redcat sumo servo will fit and uses the same 3 pin connector I like those a lot more than what the temper has. any ideas if the transmitter itself needs upgrading and/or if the esc can handle the current of a small LiPo battery for the added weight?

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_214822068_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190224_214822068_HDR.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190224_214729005_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190224_214729005_HDR.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 8
Nice truck! If you want to go cheap, I use an MG90S Micro Servo (they’re very common) and it works great. They’re literally like $3 or $4.

Nice truck! If you want to go cheap, I use an MG90S Micro Servo (they’re very common) and it works great. They’re literally like $3 or $4.

Distress - my servo died (ECX10005) and I happen to have an MG90S already. But I noticed the size of the connection is much larger than the tiny one on the original servo. What part(s) did you change out to get it to connect to the steering arm?

On my ECX10005 (that was plugged into the ECX10006 RX/ESC) it’s a standard size servo plug. The MG90S plugs right in. If yours is different though you can change the plug on the servo. If the little pins are the same size, use an x-acto knife to push the tab down and pull em out then stick em in the other. If not, you can just cut the 3 wires and solder the connector (from the original servo that you are replacing) onto the MG90S (each wire separately obviously with heat shrink tubing on each connection).

Distress - my servo died (ECX10005) and I happen to have an MG90S already. But I noticed the size of the connection is much larger than the tiny one on the original servo. What part(s) did you change out to get it to connect to the steering arm?

I’m sorry, I just realized you meant the servo arm. I used the little arm that came with the MG90S and got rid of the little servo saver ball link altogether. I replaced the little plastic tie rod link thingy with a new one but I don’t remember what the parts are from. All you have to do is find/ make one with m2 rod (or cut the head off a screw) so that it’s the same length with the ends on. On the servo end I used a captured ball link and have it turned 90 degrees from the other end which has a ball cup. Then you can run a little M2 screw through the captured ball into the MG90S arm. I hope that makes sense. There’s tons of ways to do it. I’ll see if I can get a picture up a little later.

Thanks for the follow up. I ended up hacking it together using the servo arm that came with the MG90s. I was having trouble finding a decent tie rod replacement, but finally got it working.

Oh good. Well, I just did another one and here’s a way to do it with just a piece of rod & another ECX ball stud. Cut the link in half, drill holes in the ends, turn one end 90deg and thread in or glue in a rod. The heat shrink isn’t required.
9D314A73-1B14-4E73-A906-A13AACBC6DF6.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.
Back