Shocks upgrade for ECX Amp MT?

Ivanf89

What shocks are you running on your ECX AMP MT? I need new ones.

I went with the Aluminum shocks from horizon
You will like the shocks. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised on how smooth they were. I have a tlr 22sct Short Course Truck and those shocks are the best I've ever seen along with a set of Proline Powerstrokes on another truck. The ECX aluminum shocks will give them a run for their money at half the price.

I'll second that. When I first changed the shocks on my AMP i installed the Traxxas "Big Bores" and while they were a little nicer, they ultimately didn't perform very well and contributed to an annoying hop at the rear end.

I switched to the ECX aluminum shocks and was quite happy. For an additionaly performance upgrade I recommend replacing the standard o-rings with "x-rings" or grooved o-rings as they provide double the contact seals over standard o-rings. They are low-friction and reduce the amount of weeping on the lower seals. I use Kyosho P3 grooved o-rings

You will like the shocks. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised on how smooth they were. I have a tlr 22sct Short Course Truck and those shocks are the best I've ever seen along with a set of Proline Powerstrokes on another truck. The ECX aluminum shocks will give them a run for their money at half the price.
Do i need to fill them with oil?

Nope-- they ship pre-filled. It isn't specified but the oil appears to be approximately 30wt, which is about the same as what shipped in the plastic shocks that were installed on the AMP. And they're a direct fit replacement-- all you need to do is remove the stock plastic shocks and install the aluminum models. Then spin the pre-load collars to adjust ride height and you're good to go. I suggest that your ride height should be "arms level." Drop the car from about 6-8 inches and after the car settles, take a look at the swing arms on the front and rear. The arms should be level/parallel with the surface. If the arms are sloping down to the wheels then you've got too much pre-load and the car is riding too high; if the arms are sloping up towards the wheels then you've not got enough pre-load and the car is riding too low.

I'm running 40wt Losi oil on all 4 corners. Green 3.5lb front springs, blue 4.1lb rear springs. I'm bottoming out in the rear, and the fronts might need a lighter spring.

Look what came in the mail today, I will older the rear shocks next paycheck lol

Attachments

• 20190507_180441.jpg
    20190507_180441.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
One thing I noticed about the stock plastic shocks (at least on my ECX cars) was that the bodies had a slight "hour glass" shape to them. Which would make for inconsistent damping through the stroke. The aluminum bodies, of course, do not have this problem. Doubtless this accounts for their improved performance.

Members online

No members online now.
Back