So what is the company relation between Horizon/ECX/Losi etc.

xlDooM

So I noticed ECX vehicles have Horizon Hobby decals, and the ECX website also seems to make it clear that ECX is a Horizon brand. But then I saw Losi vehicles also have Horizon decals, and so do Vaterra products. So what's the deal here? Is ECX the home brand, and the rest are subsidiaries, or is Horizon merely the distributor for them? Are there more brands under the Horizon banner?

Here is the best synopsis I could find, from the Horizon Hobby wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_Hobby

It is also the parent company for Athearn trains, Blade Helis, Dynamite RC (Battery Chargers, Speed Controllers, Nitro Engines), E-flite, ECX, Evolution, Force RC, Hangar 9, HobbyZone, ParkZone, Pro Boat, Losi, Team Losi Racing, Staufenbiel, Spektrum Radio equipment and Vaterra. It is also the exclusive distributor of JR Radios in North America.

I see. Kind of strange to have 3 different RC car brands under the same company.

I think you'll be quite surprised if you look at any of the big players in RC. They all own multiple brands.

Kind of strange to have 3 different...brands under the same company.

Not at all. General Motors? Chevy, Cadillac, Opel, etc. Nike? Converse, Umbro, Cole Haan. This allows a company to market to different demographics without diluting a brand's perception. What if Losi offered cars at the quality level of ECX? "I thought Losi was good stuff until I discovered they were selling $129 RTR junk!!"

Good point. Losi is soon selling $400 RTR junk in the form of the Ten MT though, so never say never!

What other brand RCs do everyone generally think are better quality? We should all put our collections in our sigs so everyone can see

Meh. Old school mad max fan. Also tattooist and painter on the side. Gonna grab a clear amp shell. Paint the inside with a coat of matte black, rust and rivots on the outside along with some old pipes and fake engines from the kids toys. Stick it all together, add details and clear coat. Voila.. War Rig RC.... that pic is just one i foumd on net... but you get the idea till mines done. Maybe an immortal joe logo somewhere...

Great idea! Something like a traxxas skully would make a good base car for rictus' big foot:
FRD-27549r_Mad-Max_Monster-Truck-773x534.jpg

The amp and ruckus are kinda low slung, but in true mad max spirit you gotta make do with what you got :) Some faux-rusted jacked up muscle car body would give instant apocalypse factor as well...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back