Spur troubles

mattyd4201taim

So I recently bought a 21t pinion cuz my esc was getting to hot with the stock 18t pinion the amp comes with. And for some reason the pinion screw keeps coming loose and striped the stock spur. I had the hot racing metal spur 87t and put that on and is now shaving the pinion!? I cannot win. I'm just looking to see if any one has suggestions for a none metal spur and may be a different brand pinion (i believe the 21t is rpm?) Or do you think I can use the pinion screw from the stock pinion?

Try some loctite or similar product to keep the screw from coming loose when you don’t want it to. Just make sure you use removable type in case you want to take it off.

Always make sure your gear mesh is properly set.
Too tight and it usually makes high pitch noises. Too loose and your spur teeth are dust.

Just right: (if the pinion teeth are in good condition) it would be real quiet and smooth. I have a plastic spur gear in my ecx ruckus that has outlasted 2 metal transmissions believe it or not and it is the stock 48p 87t one. It also outlasted a few pinions too but they never broke I replace them as soon as they no longer mesh properly.

Ya still trying to find the sweet spot for the gear mesh even using notepad paper trick. And yeah the plastic ones are great. My pinion just came loose and slid towards the motor causing it to shave half the spur gear right do w the middle.

I upgraded to 32 pitch spur and piñon gears years ago and have not stripped a gear since and it allows for more slop you don’t have to be so precise in your mesh. There was a post on the ultimate RC forum that had all of these details.

Here are the parts you need. Then tighten down the slipper all the way and never worry about it again.

Attachments

• 8CC31273-5733-4E3C-BA25-6C5AD41E6C1F.jpeg
    8CC31273-5733-4E3C-BA25-6C5AD41E6C1F.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 04081C3C-6021-436C-84D0-CF93B3334601.jpeg
    04081C3C-6021-436C-84D0-CF93B3334601.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 33
Here are the parts you need. Then tighten down the slipper all the way and never worry about it again.

Hhhmmmm i wonder how that setup will work with the castle creations 5700kv sidewinder 3 combo? I read today that if I'm gonna use the 87t stock spur to get a 10t - 13t pinion for the circuit. Is the amp mt that different from the other ecx 1/10 scale rc's?

So I recently bought a 21t pinion cuz my esc was getting to hot with the stock 18t pinion the amp comes with. And for some reason the pinion screw keeps coming loose and striped the stock spur. I had the hot racing metal spur 87t and put that on and is now shaving the pinion!? I cannot win. I'm just looking to see if any one has suggestions for a none metal spur and may be a different brand pinion (i believe the 21t is rpm?) Or do you think I can use the pinion screw from the stock pinion?

Matty, you can't use the stock pinion with a Hot Racing spur gear. The Hot Racing spur gear is hardened steel and will strip the stock pinion which is soft. You will have to get a hardened pinion to cure that problem. I went through the same problem and changed all my gearing to hardened steel. Going to hardened steel will make your car a little noisier then usual. As far as your pinion coming loose use a mild lock tire to secure it. I'm a retired machinist with a degree in metallurgy and it's not good to mesh hardened steel with soft steel as you will encounter stripping problems.

Yes but it is all mild steel or plastic. If you use hardened steel against mild steel you will run into problems. Think of the third member in a car, if all those hardened gears were mixed with mild steel bearing you would be blowing rear ends left and right.
You can use a mild steel spur with a mild steel pinion but not hardened steel with mild, you will strip the pinion, unless you drive like "Driving Miss Daisy".

The 13/58 32p is close to the stock 19/87 48p. I think what you read about the 10 to 13 tooth pinion was for 32p. Don't see much under 16t for 48p. With a 5200kv you'd probably want a 11t pinion 32p. Might have to elongate the motor mount hole to get the gears to mesh with a 10 or 11t. If you stay with the 48p, you'd have to elongate the hole for 17 and under. (Just barely with the 17t)

Matty, you can't use the stock pinion with a Hot Racing spur gear. The Hot Racing spur gear is hardened steel and will strip the stock pinion which is soft. You will have to get a hardened pinion to cure that problem. I went through the same problem and changed all my gearing to hardened steel. Going to hardened steel will make your car a little noisier then usual. As far as your pinion coming loose use a mild lock tire to secure it. I'm a retired machinist with a degree in metallurgy and it's not good to mesh hardened steel with soft steel as you will encounter stripping problems.

its not the stock pinion its a robinson racing one

Yes, it's mild steel. If it was hardened it would be black. You can run a harden pinion with that hardened spur if you choose. If you want to go with a smaller pinion you will have to elongate the slot with a jewellers file on the motor mount correct gear meshing.

Awwwwww well I'm still pretty new at this, not gona try that just yet lol thanks for the tips though!

Latest posts

Members online

Back