Steering Servo Burned Up

hoowahfun

So so the steering servo on my son's truck burned up. 2 weeks ago we installed the Hot Racing ECT4806 Aluminum Bearing Steering Saver. Last week he also ran it through wet grass for 15 minutes or so then put it away. Today he brings it out and the steering won't work. So as I'm fiddling with it to see what the issue is, I notice smoke coming from his steering servo. There went that!

So question: was it related to the HR steering kit or from the wet grass? Both? Something else?

Question 2: Any good suggestions on a good upgrade for the steering servo? Using the Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC if that makes a difference.

Unless you had binding or the saver was too tight I wouldn't worry about it and get another servo.

A drop in replacement for my Circuit was this Kyosho KS5031-09MW servo they show up on on Ebay at various prices they are metal geared and waterproof. Be careful what servo you buy as some maybe too tall to fit without modification.

Example below DS3218 servo, Kyosho servo, stock Electrix servo.

9cNMsPE.jpg

Last edited:
It definitely wasn't too tight. Almost made that mistake helping him get it in, and we went through and loosened up things until it moved freely. Just trying to make sure I find the root of the problem....it's sounding like it just got worn out or maybe water somehow found its way in.

Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely looking for waterproof and metal gears. (y)

Honestly I cannot say mine was a 25t servo horn on a Electrix (pre-ECX) Circuit and the Kyosho has a 25t spline. I don't know about the Spektrum servos. I will tell you this about the servo I ran with a servo saver eliminator, broke two stock servo horns with this servo and the servo is still fine. You will need a short fine thread 3mm screw for the servo horn.

Last edited:
Here are some photos for reference. Based on measurements it looks like it’s 40x20x36 mm (WxHxD). Also on this arm (maybe it’s called the horn?) has a 23 on the backside of it. Does this mean 23 splines/teeth?

In that case it looks like the Kyosho servo wouldn't work since it has a different spline count. Any options for an upgrade that's a direct drop in for a 23 spline?

In that case it looks like the Kyosho servo wouldn't work since it has a different spline count. Any options for an upgrade that's a direct drop in for a 23 spline?

Just get a 25t servo horn most servos are 25t spline anyways it's what they call a Futaba spline. I get most my stuff from Ebay I would look there first.

So many different styles to choose from but one like I have on my Ruckus will work https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-2...-car-YF/264040284420?var=&hash=item3d7a070104 better than a plastic horn.

Hm good point. I'll see about getting another horn in that case if it's easier going forward to work with. Thanks :)

Unless you had binding or the saver was too tight I wouldn't worry about it and get another servo.

A drop in replacement for my Circuit was this Kyosho KS5031-09MW servo they show up on on Ebay at various prices they are metal geared and waterproof. Be careful what servo you buy as some maybe too tall to fit without modification.

Example below DS3218 servo, Kyosho servo, stock Electrix servo.

9cNMsPE.jpg
Is the ds 3218 to big for amp mt?

Not sure. I ended up getting a Turnigy TGY-AN10 for a good price and bought a 25T servo horn. The stock ballstud did not fit the hole so had to get new ones with M3 threads I believe. The ball was a little bigger than the old one but was able to get it in to the socket.

Is the ds 3218 to big for amp mt?
[/QUOTE]

Yes it kinda is. I have 2 with them in it, took some fiddling to get in. Had to push the servo mounts back a touch. Can make it work, but honestly not worth the effort

Members online

No members online now.
Back