Steering wobble when backing up?

My guess is that this is caused by slop in the steering links and or knuckle. Upgrading to an aluminum steering knuckle and adjustable steering links would likely help quite a bit.

As @x mentioned, the steering assembly is the primary culprit, specifically the steering servo saver. You can purchase the RPM "servo saver eliminator" steering bellcrank assembly which has NO integrated servo saver. If you want a SS, you can purchase a higher-quality component from a company like Kimbrough. See their "mid-size" servo saver.

Ultimately it's all the tiny amounts of play present in the steering, suspension arms, camber links, axle carriers, and caster blocks that results in that wobble.

I'd suggest that you start by replacing the steering links with a turnbuckle and RPM's heavy duty rod ends. See my post over in the Boost forum for more information as I just recently completed this upgrade. I still use the stock servo saver, but the steering is much improved as the tighter tolerances of the turnbuckle setup has already eliminated much of the play present in the stock car.

For future reference, I ziptied the servo saver and it stopped wobbling when reversing. It still has some play because of the turnbuckles and stuff, but not nearly as much.

Here is what I have used, it is decent and in-expensive;
#1501-MG Power Hd 1501MG 60G metal gear 25T servo, No namer (eBay) $16.89

#ECX331007 Servo arm, aluminum, 25T spline, ECX/Horizon Hobby $17.99

#73492 (Servo-saver) Steering rack, RPM $11.95

Here is what I have used, it is decent and in-expensive;
#1501-MG Power Hd 1501MG 60G metal gear 25T servo, No namer (eBay) $16.89

#ECX331007 Servo arm, aluminum, 25T spline, ECX/Horizon Hobby $17.99

#73492 (Servo-saver) Steering rack, RPM $11.95

Oops, sorry, did not see that this post was for the AMP. I listed parts for the 2wd Torment

Actually, all that stuff will fit the AMP with no problem or mods required!

Came here looking for a post about this. We purchased an Amp MT for my son for his birthday and noticed the severe wobble in reverse. I've heard mention about the zip tie trick, but no one has provided any photos about where to put it to reduce/eliminate the problem.

Does anyone have any screenshots they can share on how to accomplish this on the cheap before I start going down the road of upgrading parts?

Came here looking for a post about this. We purchased an Amp MT for my son for his birthday and noticed the severe wobble in reverse. I've heard mention about the zip tie trick, but no one has provided any photos about where to put it to reduce/eliminate the problem.

Does anyone have any screenshots they can share on how to accomplish this on the cheap before I start going down the road of upgrading parts?

I don't have a picture with a zip tie installed, but here is one showing the location it goes. The zip tie goes around the servo saver spring.

12.jpg

So should I just use the zip tie method, or should I buy some aluminum upgrades?

Zip tie is a temp fix but if it comes off or breaks replace the zip tie. Get the the Hot Racing ECT4806 aluminum bellcrank or go the above route in post #8. I went the metal gear servo, RPM servo saver eliminator, adjustable turnbuckles (camber, toe), aluminium servo horn route on my Ruckus and my Circuit.

Just adding the captured traxxas adjustable links helped some on my ECX Torment.
I plan on installing the RPM servo saver eliminator kit in the future. But I did notice there was minor slop in the steering knuckles as well, so there is another potential upgrade to make.

In my experience installing RPM's "Servo Saver Eliminator" steering bellcrank made the single most significant improvement in the AMPs (or any compatible ECX 2WD car) steering performance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back