Temper Gen 2 Three Wheel Drive...

ATC Backfire

I apologize ahead of time because I'm sure someone has had to do this already but my Temper Gen 2 (1/18th scale) has these little pins that I'm guessing connect the front wheels to the front axles and they keep drifting out. Well yesterday while testing an obstacle, one of the pins must have fallen out and now the axle spins but the wheel is no longer connected to it so my crawler has only 3 wheel drive. The wheel is still connected to the chassis but has no drive and just spins freely. I was looking for a replacement pin and it seems to be included in the kit w/part number ECX221000.

My question is what is the quickest way to get a replacement (the part listed is back ordered on the Horizon Hobby website) OR better yet is there an after market replacement for that assembly so that I no longer have to keep trying to keep those pins from falling out? I've included a picture of the problem. You can see that there is a small hole (center of picture) where that pin should be.

I'm sure it's obvious but I'm new to this awesome hobby and this is the first repair I need to do so again please forgive my newb-ness! Thank you for this great forum and for your help. I'm really excited to mod my crawler!20210210_101654.jpg

there should also be a set screw that keeps the pin in place, most likely that set screw has backed out and is no longer keeping the pin in place

there should also be a set screw that keeps the pin in place, most likely that set screw has backed out and is no longer keeping the pin in place
I appreciate the info. I ended up cutting a paperclip, putting a straight piece through, and bending the ends over flat against the hub. There's a little playin it because the paperclip was a tad smaller than the original pin, but I have drive again. New axles are apparently hard to get a hold of. I tried Hobby Bench and they have not had any for over a month at my local store.

you should be able to just replace the pin and set screw,all cvd style axles have rebuild kits, even if its not the ecx brand you can use one that's the same size as yours

I apologize ahead of time because I'm sure someone has had to do this already but my Temper Gen 2 (1/18th scale) has these little pins that I'm guessing connect the front wheels to the front axles and they keep drifting out. Well yesterday while testing an obstacle, one of the pins must have fallen out and now the axle spins but the wheel is no longer connected to it so my crawler has only 3 wheel drive. The wheel is still connected to the chassis but has no drive and just spins freely. I was looking for a replacement pin and it seems to be included in the kit w/part number ECX221000.

My question is what is the quickest way to get a replacement (the part listed is back ordered on the Horizon Hobby website) OR better yet is there an after market replacement for that assembly so that I no longer have to keep trying to keep those pins from falling out? I've included a picture of the problem. You can see that there is a small hole (center of picture) where that pin should be.

I'm sure it's obvious but I'm new to this awesome hobby and this is the first repair I need to do so again please forgive my newb-ness! Thank you for this great forum and for your help. I'm really excited to mod my crawler!View attachment 6768
You can also try using a drill bit. Find one the right size and measure to the right length and cut off with saw or Dremel.

Members online

Back