Tips and Tricks for Improving Steering and Handling on an AMP

RC_Noob

I'm still plodding along with my ECX Amp, after a few months off the road it's back up and running. Still working through brushed motor options but I think a brushless upgrade is likely in the near future. However, before I do that the steering and platform handling need work.

What upgrades / changes have you done to improve steering and overall handling to your Amps?

Is the RPM Servo Saver eliminator a worth while upgrade? Seems like they introduce a bunch of other problems you need to work around.

I have already upgraded the servo to a PowerHD 20KG model.

Thanks

The servo saver eliminator is definitely worth it as long as you have a metal servo and a metal arm on it the plastic ones strip out easy. For reliability some better steering links might be a good idea.

Thanks - servo is metal geared, have just eBayed a metal servo horn and the servo saver eliminator.

Get the RPM Servo Saver eliminator. Then check your steering to ensure it is tight but not tight enough to bind the steering or suspension. Check every screw.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've made a few upgrades to the steering system - unfortunately I can't test all of the updates right now as I'm waiting for the metal gears to arrive as the motor upgrade seems to have killed the stock differential along with the spur gear.

Upgrades made:

- PowerHD 20KG servo
- Unbranded Aluminum servo horn from eBay
- RPM Servo Saver Eliminator
- Associated 48mm steel steering turnbuckles with RPM long shank rod ends

The RPM Servo Saver Eliminator was easier to install than I was expecting. I decided to do the turn buckles too, the stock ones are soo flexible I'm sure they are great in a crash situation but I can't see how they don't compromise steering performance.

Other things I'm considering

- Upgrading the Servo Saver Eliminator's plastic bushings to bearings
- Balancing the wheels
- Ti turnbuckle upgrades if the steel ones bend / break

UPDATE:

Metal gearing installed yesterday and had the amp back up and running.
The change in the steering is incredible, it's sharp and direct and absolutely zero wobble when reversing.

Attachments

• 20201023_135703.jpg
    20201023_135703.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I got myself one of those cheap aluminium servos from Banggood. It does the job just fine - much better than the cheap plastic OEM servo.
What it does is to move the weak point in the steering elsewhere. Now, it mostly pops the ball joint off the steering servo arm. And the more that happens, the easier it happens.
The car has the factory servo saver, and I put up with it, probably because it helps keep shock loads off of the servo and because its factory and I haven't seen a viable alternative for it. So that's the only reason I keep it around.
If there was a better alternative to the factory servo saver, I'd be installing it tomorrow.
Some people say "just take it off", but that doesn't actually work. Something else has to go in its place.

Attachments

• 20201102_033229.jpg
    20201102_033229.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 7
There are several options to replace the steering parts. My LHS has the RPM servo saver eliminator and that works well for me.

I have never popped that ball off, but you can replace that socket end easily enough. My question is why it pops off? Have you set your steering dual rate with the new servo so that it isn’t trying to push the steering beyond the end of its travel? Mine is set down to about 60%. The Banggood KS-3518 servo I use is powerful enough to break something if I don’t set the end points properly.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've made a few upgrades to the steering system - unfortunately I can't test all of the updates right now as I'm waiting for the metal gears to arrive as the motor upgrade seems to have killed the stock differential along with the spur gear.

Upgrades made:

- PowerHD 20KG servo
- Unbranded Aluminum servo horn from eBay
- RPM Servo Saver Eliminator
- Associated 48mm steel steering turnbuckles with RPM long shank rod ends

The RPM Servo Saver Eliminator was easier to install than I was expecting. I decided to do the turn buckles too, the stock ones are soo flexible I'm sure they are great in a crash situation but I can't see how they don't compromise steering performance.

Other things I'm considering

- Upgrading the Servo Saver Eliminator's plastic bushings to bearings
- Balancing the wheels
- Ti turnbuckle upgrades if the steel ones bend / break

UPDATE:

Metal gearing installed yesterday and had the amp back up and running.
The change in the steering is incredible, it's sharp and direct and absolutely zero wobble when reversing.
I’m trying to replace my servo horn with an aluminium one like yours but I can’t find a ball stud that has the correct thread for the horn. The stock ball stud has a much courser thread for plastic.
Did you have to buy it separately? And do you have any info that might help me find one.
Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back