Tires.

Ivanf89

What tires do you recomend for running on grass. I got a 2wdr AMP MT.

First: beware running in grass for too long, especially grass that is tall enough that it's brushing on the chassis components (swing arms, underbody) as this will cause a lot of extra drag and potentially overheat the motor.

The stock tires are fine all-around tires-- not too hard and not too soft so they'll last a long time running on a variety of surfaces. When you buy new tires, you'll also need new wheels. I recommend sticking with the ECX brand wheels for either the AMP MT or the Circuit. I tried mounting other brands to my AMP/Circuit and all I did was waste money and cause a lot of frustration for myself. The ECX wheels look good and have the correct offset so you don't need to worry about steering clearance.

The ECX wheels, as are all other "stadium truck" wheels-- which is what the AMP really is-- are 2.2."

As for tires, ProLine racing makes some good all-terrain tires: ProLine Trencher 2.2." There are probably other brands that will do well-- just look for 2.2" truck or stadium truck (ST) tires. Short course truck (SCT) tires are narrower and taller than ST tires and not a good fit for your truck. (Although, with this hobby, anything is possible!)

The key things when getting new tires the right wheel and matching the tire to the wheel: If you get yourself an extra set of ECX wheels, you can mount pretty much ANY 2.2" truck/stadium truck tire-- slicks, carpet, off-road knobby, sand paddle, clay surface.

Here's a thread I created to document the mods I made to my AMP MT to get it ready for racing on an indoor track. I also detail the issues I had when trying to mount Associated ST wheels to my ECX car.

Last edited:
If you're running on grass only, or grass and dirt but not asphalt, throw a set of these Bad Larry's on the back of your amp and let'r rip. I found that these are the best tires for driving in those conditions. But if you are ever going to drive on asphalt, get the Proline Trenchers. Asphalt will wear out the Badlands quick.

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-sc-2.2-3.0-m2-medium-tires-mounted.asp

I personally wouldn't run a full battery pack through the truck driving on grass, even with Badlands. Because that truck has a low center of gravity, like i_r beej said, the grass is going to create drag on the bottom of the truck and heat up the motor fairly quickly to the point where you could burn it out. Either cut the grass super short, or find a different spot to drive your truck

Thank I'll probably just take it to my public baseball field they keep the grass short give it a shot see how it runs

Thank I'll probably just take it to my public baseball field they keep the grass short give it a shot see how it runs
That's actually a great place to drive your truck even with stock tires. I drive my truck at my local baseball field just the same. It's fun to drive around in the dirt make the truck drift a little and then drive full blast into the grass and Back Again. my son and I have a blast doing that.

Trenchers would actually be a great Tire for the baseball field. They will allow the truck to drift in the dirt but still have great traction I'm both the dirt and grass. You will have a harder time getting the Badlands to drift in the dirt

Ivan, this is my Amp with Proline tires, $ 26 a pair. Great tires and use them for racing on dirt and asphalt, also do some jumps. Have a few other upgrades n this vehicle.

20190108_163139.jpg20190113_200425.jpg20190108_163305.jpg20190108_163509.jpg20181205_200439.jpg

Badass truck dude! I'm going to have to check out those tires, your suspension looks nice, how hard was it to upgrade it?

Not hard if your mechanically inclined. Some of the aluminum parts I made myself. Below are the identification of the tires. I use GenAce 7000 mAh 3S batteries on my vehicles. On the Amp you have to raise the battery compartment for a 3S battery. The truck does 65 plus if you can keep on the ground. It's a great truck for upgrading. I have three fans on it, two 5 volt .50 amp running on a separate 7.4volt battery to keep the battery and motor cool and the stock fan for the ESC.

20190505_003808.jpg

Attachments

• 20190505_005908.jpg
    20190505_005908.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190505_005644.jpg
    20190505_005644.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back