Torment 4x4 Motor replacement issues

fdb16

Hello Everyone, I am new to the modern RC world and purchased my son the Torment 4x4 last year for his birthday. The motor burnt out and I bought a replacement, the new one is 12t vs 15t which was in there. The salesman said it did not make a difference, this one would be a little faster. This is the ARRMA 550 12T brushed motor. Anyway, I was looking online for videos to make sure I didn't miss anything swapping them out but it appears mine is different than most as all the videos show the wheels had to be taken off and the motor was held in a housing, this is not the case on mine. I assume this is a cheaper or diff model (4x4 vs not maybe?). Anyway I pulled the old motor trying my best to note placement, etc. Now when we run the vehicle after a short while the motor will just spin. I assumed the pinion gear backed off the drive gear(?) not sure of terminology, so I matched them up and it ran again but every time it starts doing it again. Am I missing something? I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forums @fdb16 !
The 4x4 version of the Torment is a mid motor mounted configuration, meaning the transmission and motor are mounted inside the chassis. The 2wd version the motor is mounted to the transmission on the rear of the car. That is why they are different, I assume that is what you meant? Taking the wheels and tires off on a 2wd version does make it a lot easier to mount a motor properly.

Yes it does sound like the pinion is coming loose. Try a spot of locktite on the pinions set screw. Also make sure you are tightening the set screw on the flat spot on the motor shaft.

ecx03043_4.jpg

Welcome to the forums @fdb16 !
The 4x4 version of the Torment is a mid motor mounted configuration, meaning the transmission and motor are mounted inside the chassis. The 2wd version the motor is mounted to the transmission on the rear of the car. That is why they are different, I assume that is what you meant? Taking the wheels and tires off on a 2wd version does make it a lot easier to mount a motor properly.

Yes it does sound like the pinion is coming loose. Try a spot of locktite on the pinions set screw. Also make sure you are tightening the set screw on the flat spot on the motor shaft.

View attachment 7323
Thank you for the response and information! I took it off and the pinion set screw had backed off. I put some of the blue loctite on there an am hoping that should do it. My boy took it out for a test run and it was smoking, not sure if it was from the wet grass or not but it seems this car is prone to issues for me. This is brand new motor so I'm hoping I put in in correctly.

Another quick question if you don't mind. I was reading to put piece of paper between the pinion and the gear for the drive shaft then tightening, I am assuming that means turning the actual motor to press the pinion gear against the drive shaft gear since the housing bracket/attachment on the motor is oval. I am assuming that is to tighten it up against the gear then you screw the top of the bracket down to hold in place, correct? I can't seem to find any videos/information with this model, they are all for the 2wd model. I am not sure if it is going in too tight against the other gear. Thanks again!

Yes, the paper method is a kind of old school way of setting gear mesh between the pinion and spur gears. It does work, I even do that method myself. it's not a fool proof way, but it get's you close. The main thing is to have proper gear mesh, you dont want too tight or you will throw the gears in a bind and eventually melt something from heat build up, you dont want it too loose or you will run the risk of stripping the Spur? gear, i assume they are plastic on the 4wd models?

Let's go back to a comment you made about "smoking" that's not a good sign.......... do you happen to know where the "smoking" was coming from? Motor? ESC? Battery?

I don't think I remember you saying what type of battery you were running. LiPo? NiMh? capacity?
I am assuming again that you are running a stock NiMh pack? I am not sure what comes with stock with the 4wd version.

The smoking was coming from the motor. I’m running 12T brushed arrma with 100c 5000mah 2S spektrum lipo. I have it torn down now and the motor stinks I am fairly certain it’s from the wet grass. The smoke/steam was coming from the motor. My plan is to tear it down, clean everything up, lube what needs to be lubed and see what happens. Is there another way to set the gear mesh? I assume it’s good enough if you do it yourself.

The smoking was coming from the motor. I’m running 12T brushed arrma with 100c 5000mah 2S spektrum lipo. I have it torn down now and the motor stinks I am fairly certain it’s from the wet grass. The smoke/steam was coming from the motor. My plan is to tear it down, clean everything up, lube what needs to be lubed and see what happens. Is there another way to set the gear mesh? I assume it’s good enough if you do it yourself.

standard piece of thin notebook paper between pinion gear on the motor and the drivetrain gear (I've seen some refer to it as a spur gear on my 2wd, in cars we just call it the ring gear, on motorcycles we call it sprocket...whatever is on your drivetrain side gear). I got the two motor screws installed with the non-adjustable one fairly tight and the adjustable (slotted hole) one pretty loose so the motor can be slopped back and forth by hand. Put the piece of paper in between, then smashed the two together and snugged the screws. pulled the paper back and forth and the gears move, but tight. once I pull the paper out, they are fine. there is the tiniest bit of backlash (start to move one gear freeplay before it starts moving the other gear). no backlash and you're going to burn things up. too much backlash and you're going to eat up gear teeth. make sure the pinion gear is adjusted on the motor output shaft (inward vs outward) so that it is making maximum contact with the drive gear. I went orange locktite on these motor screws as well, I did not want them moving and changing the gear mesh.

for the smoking it would be helpful to shoot the ESC and the motor with an IR before a run, a couple minutes in, and when you first start to notice symptoms (adverse performance, smoking, etc).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back