Torment,Ruckus,Roost differences/mods/review

cheapoheli

Examples

Roost has wheel pins instead of hubs like the Ruckus. If you want to run 12mm hex wheels on your Torment/Roost you can use 12mm Ruckus wheel hex. Just remember larger tires will put more strain on the already weak diffs.

I haven't found any real difference between the Torment/Roost except the body. The chassis,shocks, arms between the 3 are the same. Worthwhile info because you can buy used ebay "rollers" and keep a spare(good idea if you race).

USE LOCKTITE ON WHEEL NUTS. I lost 2 wheels/axle pins on my first run.

Put heavier weight shock oil(30 or 40) to improve the handling.

I don't recommend it whatsoever but I ran the stock electronics on 3s and they still work. I did this because I already have a brushless setup waiting, have a bunch of 3s batts and wanted to see what it could handle. Other than a few speed runs here and there I turned the throttle limit to 75 and checked temps frequently. It's very very fast on 3s but be warned it's not whether it will burn out but when.

I ran the truck at my local track(1/8th scale clay) and it handled surprisingly well. It had rained all night so there was some standing water but traction was pretty good.

On 3s trying to clear the triple(almost did) one of the rear shocks unscrewed/split and dumped the oil soon after I lost a wheel/pin/nut. I found the nut and made a new pin using a body clip, ran another pack(Stock pack) and lost another wheel(different one). Note to anyone running this truck for the first time.. LOCTITE the wheel threads.

Should be a drop in 18a brushless system for $30. It's probably programmable so you can program the initial punch down to save the diffs(i'll report back when mine is installed).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCRZHNI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Performance stock battery 5 (2s lipo 7) 3s lipo 8.5
Handling 8.5 Really good for a 1/18 I asked alot of it turning laps on a 1/8 scale track. It could handle every jump.
Durability 7(stock battery) 5(3s) check all screws/tension and it's unlikely you'll encounter any of my problems. The shock popping off was the biggest surprise.

This was an impulse buy for me and at $100 for RTR out of the box there's not much to complain about but if you do your research I feel like the Dromida 1/18 is a better buy(sorry ECX). I'm glad to have mine in the stable.

I have the dromida mt 18, Redcat volcano 18 & all of the ECX versions, no comparison ECX hands down. The others always break by the hubs, arms, just not strong enough. They come with better shocks & you can buy the dromida in brushless which is a plus.
My torment has a Traxxas setup w/Traxxas 18T motor($15). Ruckus is still standard & working. I'm a little surprised because I think every child in my neighborhood has bashed the... Over the last 2 years. I'm debating if I'm going to go brushless on a buggy or another 18t Latrax set-up or buy a faster-brushed motor. I run lipos in all of them.
Just my opinion but it seems that it's been cheaper to upgrade ECX to any standard than buy the other brands of hobby grade.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back