Torment Upgrade Build

dd71182

I'm going to brag on my son for a second. As I stated a few times, I got him a Torment for Christmas and he has really enjoyed the truck. He decided almost immediately that he wanted to upgrade his truck so he started saving his money and a few weeks ago finally had enough to do his first build. So after everything delivered he got to work. He completed his build today and asked me to share the photos.
For the most part his build was centered around the suspension but he did upgrade to a brushless system as well.

The parts he installed are:
He also ground down the mounting posts for the original ESC so he could mount the new one and it's power switch in the same location. He did do all of the work himself and is already planning on changing the shocks, tires and a few other things as well. Even though he is my kid and I am proud of what he did, I always think its cool when a kid does stuff like this and puts down the video games and other devices. I hope you guys enjoy the pics of his build.

20180302_164816.jpg 20180302_165415.jpg 20180302_170556.jpg 20180303_170334.jpg 20180307_175647.jpg 20180310_180816.jpg 20180310_192116.jpg 20180311_160954.jpg

I bet you've locked him into the hobby for life now. Good job!

My son also likes to bash, and even tinkering, but he prefers the PlayStation and YouTube vids. It's a pity :(
Keep encouraging him with the Torment, you won't regret it.
Regards.

Thank you everyone. He's definitely proud of his truck.
@WoodiE we'll see how the truck runs after the breakin of the motor
@X hopefully he will stick with this for a while but soon the girls will be coming around so we'll see
@Aunion I feel your pain, when my son isn't bashing or tinkering around with his truck he's locked into the same things

Nice build. Those RPM arms will really help with the sloppy handling. Might also look into the RPM servo saver eliminator bell crank kit. Get the bearings too instead of using the plastic bushings. He’ll need a decent metal gear servo but it will completely change how quick his truck can change directions.

Sweet job ! Just keep an eye on motor temps and gearing as your pushing it with that high of a KV on a sct.

@zderekv That's the next part he wants to swap. If you know of a good budget metal gear servo I am open for suggestions since I'm not sure what I am looking at when I research servos.
@Music411 You're absolutely right. I have him running at about 75% throttle. Might let him bump it up if we go to a track.

@zderekv That's the next part he wants to swap. If you know of a good budget metal gear servo I am open for suggestions since I'm not sure what I am looking at when I research servos.
@Music411 You're absolutely right. I have him running at about 75% throttle. Might let him bump it up if we go to a track.

I run one of these on my Ruckus:

http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?part_id=93158;browser=WoGXpaupTywUIgAhx2ew

I run it pretty hard at the BMX track and skate park and it’s held up well so far. I’ve definitely gotten my $18 worth out of it. I don’t run a servo saver, just the RPM bell crank direct to the servo arm. When it goes I’ll buy another.

Thanks for the link. I was actually looking at that servo, but wasn't sure if it would hold up. That might be the direction we go. This helps both of us since we are trying to one up each other while upgrading our trucks.

Savox digital tg1258
Run 2 of them in my 1/10 amp truc/buggy.
Little on the pricey side, I certainly wouldn't call it a budget servo. But one of the best bangs for you buck, awesome torque and speed. Up here in Canada I think I paid bout 80 bucks each for em.

Thanks for the link. I was actually looking at that servo, but wasn't sure if it would hold up. That might be the direction we go. This helps both of us since we are trying to one up each other while upgrading our trucks.

The one thing I will say is that it’s a little bit taller than the stock servo so the top to the radio tray is a tight fit.

Getting my son into rc early. Got our first when he was 3. Recently got 2 matching circuits. As far as budget servos go, the powerhd models have held up great for me. I have the 23kg wp in my wraith, and for 43 bucks it's both affordable and reliable. Just ordered 2 DS servos from eBay. Model number is DS3218. 17 dollars (US), 20kg ,waterproof, metal gears, and it comes with a metal servo horn. Almost seems too good to be true. I will soon find out and let you know if it's any good.

Latest posts

Members online

Back