Upgrades, Improvements, and tips

dwblue00

I just upgraded my trans with the metal gear set. There are some things I noticed and I wanted to point out.

First and foremost, the O.E. grease in the diff is way too thin. I cleaned mine out in put in quite a bit of racers edge black grease. I also used some racers edge anti-wear grease where the output shafts come thru the diff cups.

Second, there is only 2 spider gears in the diff not 4 like most of us are used to seeing on other brand models.

Upon installation of the top shaft metal gear, I had to heat up the gear so the drive pin fully is fully recessed and seated in the slot of the gear. I used a mini butane torch to do that procedure. If you don't, the trans case won't fully seat/seal and binding will occur. I used racers edge anti-wear grease on the gears in the trans as well. When putting the trans back together be sure to check to make sure the gears aren't binding on the trans case. I loosened my screws a 1/4 turn from tight and mine spins nice and free. I also installed the Hot Racing 87t metal spur and a Robinson Racing 18t absolute hardened pinion. Now the only noise from the trans is a slight click from the pinion to the spur because of the mesh backlash. ( I may look into a 19t pinion).

I installed the rest of the upgrade parts from my previous post. It amazes me how much better the truck is. I also decided to try a different radio over the stock STX2. So I tried my Spectrum DX5 rugged radio and a new receiver.......and WOW! What a improvement! The difference is night and day. The throttle and steering are much more responsive. So now I'm going to use that radio to control it.

So overall, my Brutus is just about complete and ready to bash. I just have to finish the steering. (Mechanically center the steering up). I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. 👍👍

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back