Want to go brushless...

Maarten

Hi,
I want to go for a brushless setup in my ecx circuit 2wd. I was planning on going with a goolrc setup. My question is wat combo should I buy for my rc? I probably could find it out myself. But it would be a lot faster to just just ask on the forum :D.

I put a 3650 3300 with a 45 amp ESC in my cousins circuit and it runs great. Make sure it’s the same shaft size so you can reuse the pinion gear.
Don’t think too hard about exactly which to get. Any of them will treat you fine. This is a hobby and swapping parts is half the fun.
Keep your slipper a little loose and keep an eye on your drive shafts. The pin holes at the universal joints will start to elongate before they fail. I try to keep an extra set in my tool box so that I can swap them quick when they go. Nothing more annoying than down time.
I think I’ve broken more shafts from hard breaking than accelerating.

I agree with taco. I have 2 circuits, both have 60 amp combos, 3900kv, and 15 mm taller tires. I want to go with a lower kv, around 3000, because where I am, can't get up to full speed often( without hitting something). Even may get a smaller size motor can for my son's. So unless you want crazy fast speed and have areas to drive fast, is say go for about 3300. Get the 4300 if you're after higher speeds. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a fan for the motor too. And a wheelie bar. And aluminium front spindles.

I ran a F540 4370kv 45a esc in my circuit at first with stock tires and 2s lipo 19t pinion it scooted along pretty good. If staying with stock sized tires and gearing not a bad combo. I run big tires now and stepped up to a 3660 4300kv motor, metal diff, TRA6852x axles now no hard bashing (skate park big jumps) and the power is awesome. Any 3650 3100kv-5200kv should work well just may need to change gearing to get the desired speed and keep temps under control.

The 60a 3650 4300kv Goolrc or Ocday is the combo I would get for performance and speed but the F540 is easier on the drivetrain.

I have run F540 3300-4370kv, 3650 3100-5200kv and now 3660 3800kv-4300kv motors they all perform better than the brushed stuff they replaced and all preform differently. It all depends on what your looking for and how you are going to use them like larger tires, speed runs, use 3s lipos, running in grass, long runtime and so on.

If you have the stock pinion you will want a 3650 motor, the 3660's have 5mm shaft so you would need 5mm pinion gears.

The GoolRC F540's are a 380 rotor in a 540 can. They work great, they just won't have as much torque as a regular 540. That may be a good thing depending on how you want to drive it. You shouldn't break as many driveshafts this way.

Thanks for the help. I have a huge place to run my rc so I care less about torque. So I think I'm going for a 3650 motor.

[QUOTE=" performance and speed but the F540 is easier on the drivetrain.

I have run F540 3300-4370kv, 3650 3100-5200kv and now 3660 3800kv-4300kv motors they all perform better than the brushed stuff they replaced and all preform differently. It all depends on what your looking for and how you are going to use them like larger tires, speed runs, use 3s lipos, running in grass, long runtime and so on.[/QUOTE]

-->What do you think of the 3660 3800KV for regular kid bashing? What do you think of this?? If it's any good the price is RIGHT!! http://tinyurl.com/y97oh8gq

-->What do you think of the 3660 3800KV for regular kid bashing? What do you think of this?? If it's any good the price is RIGHT!! http://tinyurl.com/y97oh8gq[/QUOTE]

That will be fine. It’ll be faster with longer run times. Even the F540’s will be fast with longer run times. Brushless is really very impressive.

I know about brushless having a number of them, Thanks. The question is about this specific very inexpensive set of motor, esc AND MG servo --> http://tinyurl.com/y97oh8gq
1--does anyone know about this set or GoolRC in general?
2--Can a 380 (F540) run an Amp MT on woodchips and dried grass without overheating or burning out?
Thanks for any info,
A

Last edited:
[QUOTE="have 60 amp combos, 3900kv, .[/QUOTE] What gear ratios do you use if you aren't trying for top speed but rather kid level low-speed bashing in a small yard? What pitch is the Amp Spur gear?

I know about brushless having a number of them, Thanks. The question is about this specific very inexpensive set of motor, esc AND MG servo --> http://tinyurl.com/y97oh8gq
1--does anyone know about this set or GoolRC in general?
2--Is this motor a 380? I guess it is as the motor shaft is 5mm--right?
3--If it is a 380 can it run an Amp MT on woodchips and dried grass without overheating or burning out?
Thanks for any info,
A

Goolrc/Ocday/Racerstar etc. escs are very hit and miss but the motors for the most part are generally pretty good. Don't know about Gool servos probably hit and miss also.

1. As already said Goolrc escs can be very good but the reliability is hit and miss you may have to buy a couple to get a good one that lasts you take a chance when buying one. I am not trying to scare anybody from buying one just know you could end up getting a dud. I have been lucky so far but I have a few different RC's so some of my escs in my RC's may not see a lot of use.

2. The 3660 motor is a full size 550 size (a little longer) can motor if it's a finned (F540) can it's a 380 size motor in a finned 540 can,

3. A finned (F540) 3650 can can work well with stock sized tires but should you decide on running larger tires you will probably run into heat issues. I used a F540 4370kv in my Circuit it's a good fast (2s) motor with stock sized tires. I started running larger 2.8 tires and the motor was getting hotter than I would like. As far as burning out don't know never wanted to push it to the point where it could.

A 60a esc is fine for most 3650 motors but a 3660 motor should work fine on 2s if you decide later to use 3s a 80a or 120a esc would be a better choice. 3660 motors are great motors for power but realize more power puts more strain and wear on drive train parts such as diffs and drive shafts. A 3650 (not F540) size can should be enough power for a Amp for general 2s and occasional 3s bashing.

--> Heyitsyou. Thanks for the info--makes sense. I should have made it clear that these cars are for kids 9--13 driving in a schoolyard so we are happy not going fast but like the longer runtimes of brushless AND are still using Nimh packs--again don't need more speed or $ for Lipo packs--nor do I want to worry about kids charging Lipo packs. I have Lipo packs but for my school students, Nimh if fine. The inexpensive packs like the Nimh 1800--2200mah that come with the Amp are perfect when they have the longer run-time of brushless.

The 3660 link I posted above says it has a 5mm shaft--Now I see that this is HUGE and must be because it a 550--right?

--> Heyitsyou. Thanks for the info--makes sense. I should have made it clear that these cars are for kids 9--13 driving in a schoolyard so we are happy not going fast but like the longer runtimes of brushless AND are still using Nimh packs--again don't need more speed or $ for Lipo packs--nor do I want to worry about kids charging Lipo packs. I have Lipo packs but for my school students, Nimh if fine. The inexpensive packs like the Nimh 1800--2200mah that come with the Amp are perfect when they have the longer run-time of brushless.

The 3660 link I posted above says it has a 5mm shaft--Now I see that this is HUGE and must be because it a 550--right?

I have not run 7.2v nimh in years I may have a couple laying around I sorry I can't say how anything brushless would run with one. Brushless motors require and use more amps that a 7.2v nimh can provide to see a real performance gain over brushed. Just remember you can turn down the throttle on the controller if things are too fast. I suggest you try 8.4v nimh batteries to get the power of lipo without the worries of the hazards of lipos. A 3660 motor will not have good performance on a 7.2v nimh. Realize also the larger or higher kv of the motor will use more power (drain battery faster).

I larger (longer can) motor like a 3660 motor can have a lot of torque so a smaller shaft has a greater chance of snapping.

As you may know the 3660, 3650, 2845, 2838 and so on refer to to the dimensions of the motor 3660 being 36mm round and 60mm long so the first two are the diameter and the second the length of the motor. A 540 brushed is the about the same size as a 3650 brushless motor so by that add 10mm more length now you have the size of a 3660 motor.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help you further as I don't know how fast a 7.2v nimh will run with brushless motors. Castle does not even recommend using anything less than 2s lipos with their escs and motors. I kind of understand where you are trying to go with longer run times and more reliability with brushless.

Good luck if you decide to move to lipos or 8.4 nimh I might be able to help you further.

-->Heyitsyou, Thanks for the info--especially the motor sizes! Sorry to make you write so much as I've been running many brushless motors for over 10 years on Nimh (along with everyone else in the beginning of brushless RC) I'm still running many of the ones I bought 10 years ago because they were all top of the line like Novak, Losi, Traxxas and Reedy and are in the 1/10 racers by Losi & Associated. My main questions here were about getting these inexpensive brushless systems--which I have not done before, and to put them in Amps. Brushless motors are somewhat faster than brushed with Nimh but I mostly use the combination because the batteries last longer in both runtime and pack life.
I used to work with kids in well to do areas but now I'm working with lower income families and am hoping the cheaper stuff like GoolRC can do the job. Of course 7.2 volt isn't as fast as 8.4 but we aren't racing and have plenty of speed for bashing with 7.2. Higher speeds just cause more crack-ups. Thanks again for the info.

-->Heyitsyou, Thanks for the info--especially the motor sizes! Sorry to make you write so much as I've been running many brushless motors for over 10 years on Nimh (along with everyone else in the beginning of brushless RC) I'm still running many of the ones I bought 10 years ago because they were all top of the line like Novak, Losi, Traxxas and Reedy and are in the 1/10 racers by Losi & Associated. My main questions here were about getting these inexpensive brushless systems--which I have not done before, and to put them in Amps. Brushless motors are somewhat faster than brushed with Nimh but I mostly use the combination because the batteries last longer in both runtime and pack life.
I used to work with kids in well to do areas but now I'm working with lower income families and am hoping the cheaper stuff like GoolRC can do the job. Of course 7.2 volt isn't as fast as 8.4 but we aren't racing and have plenty of speed for bashing with 7.2. Higher speeds just cause more crack-ups. Thanks again for the info.

Hard to tell how much knowledge or experience one might have conversing over forums or not seeing someones earlier posts on things on other threads.

All I will say that on nimh with the cheap stuff you should have no problems unless it's a dud out of the box. Just get a program card for them as I believe most are set for use with lipos so lvc needs to be turned off or set to 0.0v.

Try a combo like this one first https://www.ebay.com/itm/OCDAY-10T-...206279?hash=item3b0c866b07:g:IAAAAOSwoX5asg3z ran a motor like the one in this combo in a Duratrax Evader was very happy with it over the stock photon 20t.

Cool--Thanks--What program card do you recommend for these inexpensive ESCs?

Basically any program card like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GoolRC...353759?hash=item33eac8b35f:g:QLgAAOSw1Fda7jW9 Goolrc, Ocday, Racerstar (there maybe more) use the same program card so as long as it looks like the one I referenced it should work no matter what the program card is called (i.e. Ocday, Racerstar, Goolrc etc.). Just look around get it cheaper from wherever you want. There are some combos that come with a program card too many to list but look on Ebay or Amazon for those combos with program cards.

You asking about brushless on 7.2v nimh made me dust off a nimh battery and try it in my old 90's Rustler that I made brushless. I was surprised that it ran pretty well just not as well as lipo of course. This is the motor I run in it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YBZQ3F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 not a bad choice either when moving from the 20t brushed motor.

Latest posts

Members online

Back