Weird Throttle Response

kinison

Hey all,

I just swapped out the stock electronics from my Amp MT for FlySky GT3C tx/rx, and Kinexsis 4000kv brushless motor and ESC combo. I'm running with the NiMh batteries that I have.

The first run was great. 20-30 minutes of a lot more power and speed with perfect temps. Yesterday on my though sometimes when pulling the throttle to full it would go as if it was at half as long as I held the trigger down. Once I'd let up and pull it again, it would creep a couple feet and then take off at full throttle again.

This is my first RC vehicle so I don't really have any other electronics to swap out for troubleshooting. But I also don't really know where to start looking otherwise. Any direction would be great!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...1-10-4-pole-4000kv-esc-motor-combo-p-kxss0501

That's weird. It could be a calibration issue between the transmitter and receiver. Try rebinding your Tx and Rx. Check your documentation to see if there's a calibration procedure.

Is it a new motor and ESC? If so, get in touch with HorizonHobby and it may just be a warranty issue.

That's weird. It could be a calibration issue between the transmitter and receiver. Try rebinding your Tx and Rx. Check your documentation to see if there's a calibration procedure.

Is it a new motor and ESC? If so, get in touch with HorizonHobby and it may just be a warranty issue.
I bought it new so I called Horizon. He asked about the temp of the esc, thinking it was hitting the thermal cut-off, which was about 100°F at the time it acted up. Then he mention that behavior sounded like a voltage issue. The problem is that I couldn't duplicate this problem today while on the phone so I left it at calling back if it happened again.

However, after about 15 minutes on an 1800mAh battery it started acting up again. This makes me wonder if this is just how it handles the battery dying. So far it's been on the charger for about an hour at 1.5A and it's not done yet so I'm leaning that way.

Does that make sense at all?

Edit: Charger beeped that it was done after 70 mins. Math says it should be 72 minutes from dead to full. Looks like this is just what it does.

Last edited:

Scratch my previous post. I just took it out. Ran great on my 5100mAh battery for about a half hour then acted up, the battery was fully charged. Threw in my 1800mAh that I charged earlier tonight and it kept acting up. I'll try rebinding and recalibrating tomorrow. Here's a short video (37s) of it acting up and some terrible driving.

Scratch my previous post. I just took it out. Ran great on my 5100mAh battery for about a half hour then acted up, the battery was fully charged. Threw in my 1800mAh that I charged earlier tonight and it kept acting up. I'll try rebinding and recalibrating tomorrow. Here's a short video (37s) of it acting up and some terrible driving.
Are you running a lipo battery?

Is that ESC 3s compatible? Maybe it thinks you're on a 3S and you're still on the low voltage cutoff.

I have the same combo in my AMP DB and the 3000Kv version in my Ruckus 2WD. Zero issues with my AMP, but my Ruckus has issues with going in reverse... IDK. But it's frustrating for sure.

Did this problem get solved? I have the exact same issue and cant fix it. Going crazy!

Have a Traxxas Rustler and installed the same Kinexsis 4000kv motor and ESC combo. Worked fine out of the box BUT has intermittent throttle problems and the speed goes up and down. If you release the throttle, and then re-press it, it sometimes fixes it and speed goes back up to normal. Other times it operates at about 50% speed for no reason. Battery is fully charged. Using a 2 cell lipo.

Called Horizon tech support and they give answer of "we dont support if you mix and match parts" answer. They want to blame the transmitter. Since transmitter is not Kinexsis, they dont seem to want to help.

If anyone found a solution to the above problems, please let me know!

I did! Turned off the low voltage cutoff. Called Horizon and they said the ESC should be able to tell the battery type. Guy at the LHS said I should turn it off. It was easy to do following the instructions that came with it.

I haven't run it with lipo yet so I don't know if the LVC is an issue in general or just when running NiMH.

Thanks for the help! This solved my problem. Called Horizon and they had no idea and said to send back the ESC for testing. As soon as I turned off the low voltage cutoff, it works perfectly. Using Lipo 2 cell. Hopefully the LVC being deactivated wont cause other problems with the battery....

If you're running Lipo you need an LVC. Running Lipos too low can permenantly damage the battery. You might want to take Horizon up on their offer. Makes me wonder about mine now.

He's running NiMH though, he can always turn the LVC back on if he buys a LiPo?

From an electric point of view, I can't really see how the ESC can reliably detect the battery chemistry. The output voltage span over different loads and discharge states of the two chemistries overlaps a great deal. I like my ESCs with a switch...

I'm running NiMh, he's running a 2s.

It seemed weird to me that the ESC would be able to detect chemistry but this being my first RC I figured they would better. Turns out I was wrong lol.

Ohh I'm sorry I have you two mixed up, @semplic he is right you have to be really careful, if you run a LiPo down below 3V/cell it becomes a fire hazard. Buy a $4 low voltage buzzer for it if you intend to run the ESC without the cutoff on a LiPo.

Latest posts

Members online

Back