Well, didn't take long to break it the first time

kontu

So here I am, finally fulfilling my desire to get into playing with RC cars. It's been 20 years of wanting to but never having it a high enough priority to take the plunge. Did quadcopters first anwyays.

Pick up a used 2WD Brushless Ruckus off eBay for ~$80 bucks or so, transmitter and car (just missing batteries and charger, which big whoop I've got more than enough on that front already from other hobbies). Figured hey, it's <$100 starting investment and I can always get other things if I need them. I just want to bash around my yard / street and maybe build some small ramps for it in those area's so I don't need anything amazing or 50MPH for that.

It arrives, it's just a little dirty, nothing broken, in good shape. Awesome, so far so good. Shocks are definitely neglected and need maintenance, but I'll deal with that after I do some initial runs. Full metal diff, metal pinion, metal drive shafts (although I can not for the life of me identify what kind they are). Tazer fanned ESC with dyn4942 3100k motor, so I'm good to go with 2S. Double check ESC config, just had to change low voltage cutoff for use with a LIPO, no big deal.

Take it out, crank out one 5000mah pack, overheat issues constantly. Runs for ~2-3 minutes then slows down by half then randomly stops accepting throttle for ~30-90s at a time or longer. Yay great.

Ok whatever it's used, might need some TLC. Take apart the ESC, add some thermal paste to the heatsink bond (the heatsink pad was basically shot and not making contact anymore). Take it back out, problem seems solved this thing is fun and screams.

Slipper gear seems loose, I can hear the thing whine for ~7-10ft at a time when I punch it on grass, but thing is I'm having to cut throttle way down to prevent wheelies and such anyways so I wasn't worried (that and what harm could a loose slipper gear do I figured?) Need to put some weight in the front.

Well...2/3rds through that pack it happens. No power to the wheels for some reason. Turns out I stripped out the plastic wheel hex and the hex side of one wheel itself. Seems odd that the car wouldn't move at all anymore, not even limping along - I'll be honest I'm hoping nothing else is wrong. So now i've got a pair of aluminum hex's on the way, and some pro-line badlands 2.2/3.0's on the way.

This thing is fun, dog loves chasing it. Only issue is the turning radius seems to kind of suck at anything but low speed, but maybe my steering servo is on it's way out. Maybe I'll investigate once it's running again.

I wanted to thank ya'all, A lot of my knowledge has come from reading these forums on what to check and look into and verify. Now all that's on my list to check is suspension, steering servo, and deciding if the fact that my motor gets hot enough to not be able to touch is a problem (pinion/spur gear adjustment checked and not tight, can't find binding anywhere)

Welcome @kontu! Is this your first RC? Seems you already have a decent understanding of things. Feel free to post up any questions you have.

Also, yes, if you can't touch the motor for atleast a couple seconds it's getting too hot. You may need to adjust your gearing. I know my 4wd brushless circuit got fairly hot on stock gearing.

Bah guess I'll need to look into gear changing. That's done entirely with the pinion and spur gears right? Looks like Spur is 87 based on a number on it, pinion i'm having a hell of a time getting the key screw loose to take it off and look. Really hope the previous owner didn't do something dumb like red loctite it. Counting teeth it looks like 24t for pinion. Sadly can't see any markings on it as is.

Suggestions on where to downgear to?

-- edit --
Got the pinion off, says 24 on it that's it, so at least I can count!
Looks like the parts list shows an 18 as stock, so maybe the previous dude geared up and didn't run lipo (he certainly didn't have LVC set up)

The parts list I'm looking at says you came stock with a 24 tooth 48P pinion. You may still be stock. I'm looking HERE at the parts explosion pdf.

I'd grab a range of pinions. Drop a couple teeth at first and see what kind of temps you get. Progress from there.

Seems weird it runs so hot then. Maybe I need to open my motor casing and check it out for debris. I've got a set of pinions coming (17-21) so I'll play with those

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back