What Brushless Motor to Upgrade Ruckus 4WD Brushless System on 3S?

Ramjet

My 4WD Brushless Ruckus has the stock Dynamite Tazer 3300Kv 4-pole 540-size Brushless motor. I've upgrade my ESC to the Dynamite Tazer 45A V2 that supports 3S (same ESC as stock, but a newer version).

The truck runs fast on 3S (about 41 MPH), but the motor gets hot pretty quickly, so I have to let it cool down every 5 minutes. The ESC temps are fine.

What motor should I upgrade to that will run cooler? I don't mind if I lose a little speed and cost isn't that important. Any advice would be appreciated.

As I said in the other thread, at some point, you can't get away from Physics. If you want a 40+mph truck on 3s, you will most likely need a bigger motor, one of the long can 3670 or 3674 motors, with a bit lower KV, bigger pinion. But then, how long will the diffs survive?

In your other thread you mention mostly driving in a big field. If this is grass, and you are running full blast, you will probably continue to have issues. It is very hard on your truck. What you are looking to do may be above the limits of the truck you bought. You may want to step up to a 1/8 truck, as the larger wheels will handle it better.

What you are looking to do may be above the limits of the truck you bought.
Yeah, I may need to concede to that point. Perhaps there is away to adjust max throttle in the ESC to keep my 10-year- old from burning up the motor. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Dynamite Tazer 45A V2?

2s would be my first try too. That should slow it down to about 30-35 or so (assuming it is running 41mph now). Or drop in a 6-c nimh, that will get it to mid-20's, with a nice mild acceleration.

To slow it down more, you will need to limit the throttle on the TX. Some radios have a throttle DR or EPA that can be dialed down. When I had my DX2E, I used to wrap Velcro around the handle, behind the trigger to limit how much they could pull the trigger. Redneck, but it works.

You can set your throttle epa on the DX2E pretty easily.
In this video where you see him set the the throttle all the way up, use the knob to set the throttle anywhere from 0 to 100%

If you have a 3s just don’t make a bad mistake (like me) and do speed runs with a 4000kv. Probably my most saddening breakdown I have had. blew up my motor one of the magnets on the rotor came off it was really bad. The rotor itself was totaled not reusable. I had a old bad 4000kv that never really works that great so I pulled it’s rotor out but it doesn’t have balancing weight stuff on it(or what ever it’s called) so it runs. It will chew through bearings though.

Probably my most saddening breakdown I have had. blew up my motor one of the magnets on the rotor came off it was really bad.
Was it heat related? My stock Dynamite Tazer 3300KV gets really hot on 3S. It takes the fun out of it if you have to keep monitoring motor temps. I just ordered a 3900KV Racerstar 3650 Brushless motor from Bangood for under $25 that I'll be replacing my stock motor with. I hope that will allow speed runs without overheating.

Was it heat related? My stock Dynamite Tazer 3300KV gets really hot on 3S. It takes the fun out of it if you have to keep monitoring motor temps. I just ordered a 3900KV Racerstar 3650 Brushless motor from Bangood for under $25 that I'll be replacing my stock motor with. I hope that will allow speed runs without overheating.
The motor was around or less than 100°f because it was cold out but I know for sure it wasn’t heat related. By the way a 3900kv motor especially a cheap one with probably blow up on 3s like mine did it is only 100kv less than mine. A 3300kv will run cooler considering it were to be geared the same as the 3900kv. It is almost always about gearing.

I have a 3000kv I run on 3s for bashing. I ran it in the grass for about 20min till I got bored then started driving it on my driveway made of gravel. I was actually trying to get it hot but couldn’t get it above 140°f in 80-90° weather. I did have a small heatsink with a 30mm low speed fan though.

Yes. Applied to a 3s battery.
6 and 7 cell nimh and 2s lipo you will overheat going that big on a pinion.
But wizardry is at hand with 3s.

But wizardry is at hand with 3s.
That's very interesting. All prior opinions on this forum (including Horizon Hobby live chat) have been to decrease pinion with 3S to reduce heat. I haven't been able to find a smaller one than stock. Bigger pinons are much easier to find than smaller ones, so if that works, that's a good solution. I'll have to try a bigger one and see what it does to temps. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back