what is the Purpose and advantages of a drag brake?

Walter

I will be getting a red cat Everest gen 7 crawler ,and I see it has drag break settings and would like to be educated a little more on this ,thank you

Drag brake on a brushless motor was initially designed to simulate the drag created by the brushes pressing on the commutator in a brushed motor. It provides a subtle slowing when off-throttle. This can be useful when racing as the racer doesn't have to actively hit the brakes but can instead can benefit from a customizable drag brake effect to achieve a less dramatic slowing effect when setting up for a turn. (Just as one example.)

Additionally, on a crawler, drag braking can prevent the car from coasting back down the hill/obstacle when you release the throttle. Actually, brushed motors can also have adjusted drag brake settings-- Hobbywing's 1080 brushed motor ESC features adjustable drag brake settings. When driving my Temper over an obstacle I can release the throttle and the car stays put-- useful when trying to pick my way over and through a tricky obstacle/terrain feature.

This is the perfect definition of drag brake. I run the drag brake on my Wraith at 100% for the exact reason i_r_beej stated above, so it doesn't go rolling down the hill when I let off of the throttle. It will save your bacon when you're picking a tricky line uphill at an angle.

Welcome! And this is one of the benefits of a community: the collective knowledge!

Cheers and have fun with your new car.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back